Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
a gerbil is an evil hamster
Thank you. That will obviously complicate things further.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ International
Originally Posted by mannakiosk View Post
Thank you. That will obviously complicate things further.
Yup!

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...ster_super.jpg

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
yo gerbils

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk

that would require a sheepdog and some other methods
Surley "gerbildog" would be more useful in the herding of gerbils? Sheepdog might just stop for a tasty snack....

a gerbil is an evil hamster
Hamsters are evil gerbils. Hamsters bite more, aren't as active during the day, are slower, and, in my opinion, aren't as smart. I've had both as pets and I can tell you, Gerbils are more fun, more lovable, nicer, and all around better. Now I'll run from any hamster lovers here...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by glug View Post
Hamsters are evil gerbils. Hamsters bite more, aren't as active during the day, are slower, and, in my opinion, aren't as smart. I've had both as pets and I can tell you, Gerbils are more fun, more lovable, nicer, and all around better. Now I'll run from any hamster lovers here...
now, since your gerbils are all round better and you have experience with them.

do gerbils resist herding?

now, since your gerbils are all round better and you have experience with them.

do gerbils resist herding?
Yes, they do resist herding... to a point. Adult gerbils will run from you, but they dart toward enclosed spaces and will turn around and try to run past you. It can be hard to herd a gerbil down even an enclosed area like a hall, because the gerbil will go under door cracks and when it gets cornered try to run past you. It isn't hard to catch them, but it can be hard to get them to go where you want.

In the open, forget it. You can't herd a gerbil in the open.

Gerbils have been known to attack snakes and other predators, I believe. They don't attack people very much, but will sometimes bit if caught while scared (like after chasing/herding them).

Young gerbils (1-3 weeks) resist herding much like adults, but they're much slower and don't react as quickly, so they're easier to round up. However, they do fit in smaller places and if you loose one, it can be difficult to find it. Adult gerbils are easy to find (at least if lost inside) since gerbils are naturally curious and will come out of hiding quickly if it is quite. Baby gerbils will wait hours before they come out.

Gerbils can also jump rather high and if cornered will sometimes jump over you. I had one once jump onto my arm, off it, and scurry away. So they can resist herding in this way too.

Gerbils are not like sheep either and don't stick together when traveling. I have noticed they roughly stay in the same area and will usually eventually come back together, but if aloud to run free they will do in different directions and don't stay together in packs. When startled, they gerbils will run in random directions (won't stay together like sheep or schooling fish) so a "gerbil dog" or other herding animal wouldn't be very effective with gerbils.

That's about the best answer I can give. Short answer: yes, they resist herding.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
gerbils hate joe cartoon

use tinfoil hats which pick up gps signals for them to follow.
put lady gerbil in a short skirt after getting other gerbils drunk and they will follow the lady gerbil.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan

Guinea Pigs like watermelon . . .

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
glug, perhaps as smeg said, you are just using a stick instead of offering a carrot.

Tags
deep thoughts, threadtastic