Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Ctrl+Enter should do it.
Fn+Shift should get you in Scroll lock (selection) mode.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-12-10 at 06:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
brilliant! thanks bundyo. hey is there any documentation for the maemo5 version of tear? btw, great work

I'm pleased to announce version 2.1 of browser-proxy, a script which lets you use Tear (or other alternative browsers) as the default browser on Maemo devices. With xiojason's agreement, I'll be taking over as the primary maintainer from now on; many thanks to him for his work on this so far!

The script itself can be downloaded from
http://xio.com/maemo/browser-proxy.txt, or you can use the Debian package (browser-proxy_2.1-1.deb) attached to this post. Installing the Debian package will take care of installing and setting up the script for you; if you want to install manually, see the instructions in xiojason's original post.

The headline change is the new configuration file. browser-proxy will look for /home/user/.config/browser-proxy on startup, and if found will load its configuration from that file. The format is simple:
Code:
# This is a comment
# continuous_mode: 0 -- close after handling a request; 1 -- run
# continuously in the background
continuous_mode = 1
# default_browser: "tear", "microb", "fennec", "midori", or "other"
default_browser = "tear"
# other_browser_cmd: If default browser is "other", what program
# to run (%s will be replaced by URI)
#other_browser_cmd = "some_browser %s"
If there's no config file found, the script will use its built-in defaults (continuous_mode = 0, default_browser = "tear"). When running in continuous mode, you can get the script to reread its config file by sending it SIGHUP (kill -HUP pid).

(If you've been using the patches I posted earlier on top of 2.0, there is one significant change to the config file: the URL that replaces the %s in other_browser_cmd is now automatically quoted, so you no longer should quote %s in the other_browser_cmd string.)

Changes in this release:
  • The script now supports using a configuration file (see above) -- no need to edit the script to configure it now.
  • Out-of-the-box support for launching Fennec and Midori.
  • Add the ability to launch browsers other than those directly supported in the script (see above).
  • Changes to support a wrapper script replacing /usr/bin/browser.

Changes to the Debian packaging in this release:
  • Add a wrapper script replacing /usr/bin/browser, to ensure that launching MicroB via /usr/bin/browser always works.
  • Conflict with the proposed fennec-dbus-proxy (see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=499904); the two do roughly the same thing and probably shouldn't be co-installed.

Source for the Debian package (.orig.tar.gz, .dsc, .diff.gz) is contained in the attached tarball.

Future directions:
  • I'm working on getting a Garage project set up to host the code.
  • A configuration UI; it looks like if we want a control panel applet, it's going to have to be written in C? Thoughts? Comments on what it should look like?
  • I have no idea whether this works at all on Fremantle, though my suspicion is that it wouldn't take much work to get it working there. Reports/patches welcome if you're adventurous.
  • Once we have a UI, get this into extras where more people will find it.

EDIT: fix a link
Attached Files
File Type: deb browser-proxy_2.1-1_all.deb (7.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: gz browser-proxy_2.1-1-srcpackage.tar.gz (7.8 KB, 121 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I installed this and /home/user/.config/browser-proxy is not present. It opens tear when links are clicked just fine. What do I need to do to change it to make it open fennec?

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
I installed this and /home/user/.config/browser-proxy is not present. It opens tear when links are clicked just fine. What do I need to do to change it to make it open fennec?
There's no config file by default -- if the config file isn't found, the script uses its built-in defaults.

To make the config file, you can create it with your favorite text editor, adding the line
Code:
default_browser = "fennec"
If "favorite text editor" doesn't mean anything to you, try this from an xterm:
Code:
$ cat > /home/user/.config/browser-proxy <<EOF
default_browser="fennec"
EOF
(where "$" represents the command prompt, not something you type).

Awesome, that worked perfectly. Thanks alot! I still use tear for all my general browsing, but seeing as how it wont let me log into usatoday.com or nytimes.com thats what Im using fennec for so when I click on links in my rss.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Awesome, that worked perfectly. Thanks alot! I still use tear for all my general browsing, but seeing as how it wont let me log into usatoday.com or nytimes.com thats what Im using fennec for so when I click on links in my rss.
I'm always logged into nytimes.com (though not using rss feed if that matters)

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'm always logged into nytimes.com (though not using rss feed if that matters) in tear without problem.

Hmm... do we have Tear for Fremantle, yet ? The new MicroB on the N900 is better than the old one, but definitely quirky and irritating at times...

Oh GeraldKo, thanks for that link in another post about the newer version of the yellownotes applet, I didnt even know it existed.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browserd fix, microb killer, webkit