Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Yes, sometimes pages don't get unmarked after closing. 10x.

Not this year, sorry.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-12-20 at 14:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xiojason View Post
Browser Switchboard may now warrant its own thread.
Particularly since its usage is beyond Tear. Maybe the right time is when the stable first release is ready?

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xiojason View Post
Browser Switchboard may now warrant its own thread.
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Particularly since its usage is beyond Tear. Maybe the right time is when the stable first release is ready?
The original idea was to try to get some testing of this release before cutting a 3.0 final release and announcing it to the wider world, especially for Fremantle (where I've been completely unable to test). I've yet to hear back from anyone regarding the release, though, and while for Diablo I can only assume that the 17 people who downloaded it from Garage (plus whoever's installed the extras-devel package, I don't have stats for that) are having no problems, I'm less comfortable making that assumption for Fremantle.

Since only two people have downloaded the Fremantle packages from Garage, I'm going to assume that the population of Fremantle users watching this thread is low, and cut a 3.0 release and hope that nothing blows up for them ... anyway, that should be up sometime later today.

ETA: Not to mention, like many developers, I'm TERRIBLE about writing documentation, release announcements, and the like, and so I've been putting it off

Last edited by steven676; 2009-12-23 at 11:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
For Diablo I have found it works fine and causes no problems. The only negative I've seen is minor: when I click on a bookmark in Tear Bookmarks in the desktop Task Navigator, it opens in a new window rather than replacing the webpage in the already-open window (like it did in the built-in MicroB Bookmarks).

Thanks for coding and sharing this.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
For Diablo I have found it works fine and causes no problems. The only negative I've seen is minor: when I click on a bookmark in Tear Bookmarks in the desktop Task Navigator, it opens in a new window rather than replacing the webpage in the already-open window (like it did in the built-in MicroB Bookmarks).

Thanks for coding and sharing this.
i think you would find that for each that loved the microb behavior, there is one that hates it.

basically, either case depends heavily on what the user is planning to do, reuse the window for a unrelated browse, or open up a second page to look up something in response to something on the first page.

the only real solution i see if for the system to ask each time a bookmark is accessed from said menu, while a window is already open, if it should be opened in a new or existing window.

btw, i think said bookmarks menu development is on ice pending folder support in tear bookmarks management.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
The only negative I've seen is minor: when I click on a bookmark in Tear Bookmarks in the desktop Task Navigator, it opens in a new window rather than replacing the webpage in the already-open window (like it did in the built-in MicroB Bookmarks).
Hang on, I think that's got to do with Tear Bookmarks's behavior, nothing to do with Browser Switchboard. That said, the built-in bookmarks behave the same way too, which is a definite behavior change from when Browser-Switchboard isn't installed (wonder if I should document this).

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i think you would find that for each that loved the microb behavior, there is one that hates it.
Most definitely. I'd fall into the "hates the MicroB behavior" category.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
the only real solution i see if for the system to ask each time a bookmark is accessed from said menu, while a window is already open, if it should be opened in a new or existing window.
Less intrusive would be to make a pref in browser-switchboard for it -- but the point is moot anyway, since I'm not aware of a way to control whether a link passed to any of the browsers other than MicroB should open in a new window or an existing window. Without that support we can't do much about this.

Last edited by steven676; 2009-12-23 at 12:59. Reason: noticed that discussion is actually about Tear Bookmarks

The Following User Says Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Less intrusive would be to make a pref in browser-switchboard for it
and the setting would be potentially wrong half the time, even for the same user, as it may well be that the user would want to reuse a window one time, but open a new one a different time.

oh, and i think its tear that decides, and its set to open a new window every time a url is passed to it, just observe the behavior when using feed circuit to read rss updates.

and things get even more interesting ones one have multiple windows open. What window, if any, should be recycled?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Actually either way is fine with me, and, as I said from the start, it's trivial (and apparently moot). I was just surprised by the change/inconsistency.

Main points remain: It works just fine; thanks!

I've started a new thread for discussion of the new Browser Switchboard 3.0 release, and future releases as well.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Austria
A would like to file a bug (or configuration problem?) here: tear does not seem to be able to save any changes in google calendar. Message I get: Oops, we couldn't create this event, please try again in a few minutes.
Microb can, Fennec also; With Midori it is the same.

Btw: I was installing from Qole´s repository, Version is 0.3.5-1; if I look into www.bundyo.org I see tear-0.3.5-2_armel.deb.
However, if I click it, it starts the program manager, runs through, but apparently installs nothing: About still reads 0.3.5-1;

What is the recommended repo for installing and what is the newest version?

Tags
browserd fix, microb killer, webkit