Notices

Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I have previously tried upgrade with devel repos. Did not work so well. Now I thought that I could ask some info about it. I took screenshots of what upgrades there is for my system. I now know that libmeipc0 will break the load applet and clockd will break the timesync. But that is all I know. I have now been trying to get cutetube working and have installed stuff according to given instructions in the cutetube thread. Now I am curious to know would there possibly be some updates which could change my situation. I also tried youtube-dl but could not update that either.

So I am interested to know:
1) Are there certain upgrades that everybody would benefit if they make them and which are in common use already with developer folks?

2) How to upgrade just certain application/package?

3) Or if there are more good upgrades than bad how to opt out the ones which are known to break things?

I updated maemosec-certman-ca by downloading it from devel pool and then with dpkg -i. It gave no dependency errors. Should I still install the rest stuff from the same pool directory or is there a way to check dependency problems in console? This openssl and certificate updates interest me the most cause I understand they are important and could help many.
Attached Images

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
So which devel upgrades, extras or cssu or both?
My hint never do an upgrade on activated extras-devel or cssu-devel.

From extras-devel I try (one by one) only things which I need and when they work they can stay else I remove them. So some packages from extras-devel have less bugs and are newer versions.

From cssu-devel I only use openssl, new certificates and qt4.

Code:
apt-get install maemosec-certman-common-ca
apt-get install libssl1.1
apt-get install openssl
c_rehash /etc/certs/common-ca
apt-get install libqt4-core
maemosec-certman binary for manual installation.

So new certificates from cssu-devel is a must. For openssl you could also stick to / try out openssl 1.0.1 or openssl 1.0.2 qt is needed when you want use libssl1.1.

However when you use qt4 from cssu-devel it could be that you need to recompile applications which are using qt.

When I remember right cutetube has more problems like authentification changes, api changes and ssl changes. I tried to look into the problem but what me made stop was that my old youtube account is not useable anymore, because they want a phone number but I only want to show them my middle finger and not my number. But it seems that this will not work, I could not login with my middle finger.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
After those updates tested:
Mail, mSoma radio, mobile hotspot, BlessN900, Opera, Pidgin with telegram, fmms, microb, cute explorer, Easy Debbie.

All seems to work. Thanks!

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
excellent progress...
Definitely a ...um..."flexible" wiki page should be done with instructions...and tips...
Since so many modern apps change themselves at such speed nowadays ....that is why I suggest a "flexible" page in the wiki...with recent methods and instruction.
detailing how to get these problem apps currently functioning (if possible) ..

It would save a lot of headache for the next person..

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
So which devel upgrades, extras or cssu or both?
My hint never do an upgrade on activated extras-devel or cssu-devel.

From extras-devel I try (one by one) only things which I need and when they work they can stay else I remove them. So some packages from extras-devel have less bugs and are newer versions.

From cssu-devel I only use openssl, new certificates and qt4.

Code:
apt-get install maemosec-certman-common-ca
apt-get install libssl1.1
apt-get install openssl
c_rehash /etc/certs/common-ca
apt-get install libqt4-core
maemosec-certman binary for manual installation.

So new certificates from cssu-devel is a must. For openssl you could also stick to / try out openssl 1.0.1 or openssl 1.0.2 qt is needed when you want use libssl1.1.

However when you use qt4 from cssu-devel it could be that you need to recompile applications which are using qt.

When I remember right cutetube has more problems like authentification changes, api changes and ssl changes. I tried to look into the problem but what me made stop was that my old youtube account is not useable anymore, because they want a phone number but I only want to show them my middle finger and not my number. But it seems that this will not work, I could not login with my middle finger.
Thank you Halftux for this one more helpy trick.

However, after doing this, backupmenu was not able anymore to compare the password, resulting in an free access to it.
BM uses openssl to compare the entered password to the one found in /etc/passwd file. But openssl is searching for a libssl (I believe 1.1) which is not found.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post: