I posted this some other places. I post here as well.
-----
OK. While I am waiting to get a device, I have been reviewing and researching. Apparently I should back up the DRM keys/partition before I install SFOS. Fine, so while researching this, I found the following.

“Sony Xperia devices are known for their excellent Sony camera sensors and implemented software technologies like Bravia Engine and X-Reality display modes. These features noticeably increase screen colors and camera quality. Everything is sharper and photos taken in low light conditions look just great.

All these features are made possible thanks to the DRM keys. But when you root your Xperia phone, the DRM keys get lost as well as all the features. The camera doesn’t perform as well and photos in low light look just terrible. The screen is not as vivid and colors are washed out.”

So, is this bogus or real, and what is the state of Sailfish’s access to the Bravia and X-Reality engine gardware, quality wise and so on?
Am I the only one who came across this?

I looked at a 5122 and I admit it looks pretty sharp, so I thought the question was worth asking.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrDweeb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
IMHO, X-reality is pure gimmick in every possible way. I never noticed any difference on my tablet, not even in dark room with calibration videos. So guess how much does that mean on a daily baisis. Their TV's are different story.

Camera........ well, every camera on the phone performs badly when there's not enough light because of the tiny sensor. While their processing can do something to improve those images, they are still crap.

Loosing DRM key won't make your phone worse in any way unless you trust marketing BS and numbers on paper.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
IMHO, X-reality is pure gimmick in every possible way. I never noticed any difference on my tablet, not even in dark room with calibration videos. So guess how much does that mean on a daily baisis. Their TV's are different story.

Camera........ well, every camera on the phone performs badly when there's not enough light because of the tiny sensor. While their processing can do something to improve those images, they are still crap.

Loosing DRM key won't make your phone worse in any way unless you trust marketing BS and numbers on paper.
For having tested a Z3C with and without DRM keys ... yes it makes difference !!!!!!!
And yes, I also would like to be able to restor DRM with SailfishOS

The Following User Says Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
sure, because you also loose netflix and such, but that's no worry on sailfish anyway

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
-Camera software matters as much as camera hardware.

In camera phones the software part matters even more because it is meant to compensate the shortcomings of the mediocre hardware.
When F-Camera became available for N900 and with that the possibility to take RAW pictures, I thought I would finally get the best out of my N900 camera. Wrong. The Nokia camera software was so well fine tuned for the hardware that achieving an equaly pleasing result based on the RAW files was a very hard if not impossible job.

-The same goes for the sound playback of the built in audio card. People complaining Sailfish have a lot of electronic noise in their headphone when playing music.
That is probably another shortcoming of too much hardware cramped tightly in one space.
Maybe noise cancelling-a technique that is very well developped in the mobile phone industry- is not only a matter of filtering noise out of the environment that comes into your microphone but also takes care of filtering out the electronic noise.

Anyway, I think the Sony software 1) matters to get the best out of the hardware 2) is being permanently erased by Sony for those unlocking the bootloader 3) calling it "DRM keys" is just some excuse by Sony to not say we punish you for wanting to try something different not our prescribed way.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

In camera phones the software part matters even more because it is meant to compensate the shortcomings of the mediocre hardware.
When F-Camera became available for N900 and with that the possibility to take RAW pictures, I thought I would finally get the best out of my N900 camera. Wrong. The Nokia camera software was so well fine tuned for the hardware that achieving an equaly pleasing result based on the RAW files was a very hard if not impossible job.

-The same goes for the sound playback of the built in audio card. People complaining Sailfish have a lot of electronic noise in their headphone when playing music.
That is probably another shortcoming of too much hardware cramped tightly in one space.
Maybe noise cancelling-a technique that is very well developped in the mobile phone industry- is not only a matter of filtering noise out of the environment that comes into your microphone but also takes care of filtering out the electronic noise.

Anyway, I think the Sony software 1) matters to get the best out of the hardware 2) is being permanently erased by Sony for those unlocking the bootloader 3) calling it "DRM keys" is just some excuse by Sony to not say we punish you for wanting to try something different not our prescribed way.
Well, I am interested in Sailfish. My almost dead N9 was my favourite phone. It is also the phone I use for music and traveling, flipping SIMS regularly.

Not getting decent music from SFOS as you suggest is the case would definitely stop me from converting, much as I really dislike Android

The Following User Says Thank You to DrDweeb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post

Completely agree with that.
Another example : take the PIxel phone. They don't break the technologies with their camera HW ... but their software is so good that they become the best camera phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by DrDweeb View Post
Well, I am interested in Sailfish. My almost dead N9 was my favourite phone. It is also the phone I use for music and traveling, flipping SIMS regularly.

Not getting decent music from SFOS as you suggest is the case would definitely stop me from converting, much as I really dislike Android
I did not try the sound playback myself. But I belief the reports from people who care about sound quality.. nobody else says "excellent sound playback":

https://together.jolla.com/question/...ish-x-jolla-1/

" music playing sound quality really bad as some people already reported,..."

from https://together.jolla.com/question/...age=1#sort-top

Maybe QuasarMX with its many adjustment possibilities can improve audio quality?

Due to camera, WIFI hotspot, sound quality presumable not functioning as it should and many more issues Sailfish X feels to me personally more like a moral duty than a fun thing to try

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2016 @ Yekaterinbourg, Russia
I haven't problem with "excellent sound playback". I use QuasarMX with standard settings. I don't see difference with N9 or JC. Xperia isn't worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to XOleg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrDweeb View Post

I don't think that it is that much a silfish problem as it was Jolla 1 problem. I didn't hav the chance to test it with any other sailfish device but the thing is that it was like there wan't enough power in the phone to drive some better earphones. I got better sound from some ~10€ sony buds than from mdr-ex650 or xba-c10. And I did used quasar MX but even with it's internal aplifying setting it just didn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: