Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Has anyone actually thought it's very cool that jolla expand to India too?

Well done jolla and good luck.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 18 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ India
Jolla has just launched the phone in India, priced at roughly 210EUR or 16499INR they are providing first 90 customers with VIP box..

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/joll...1?MID=JollaBuy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Redevil For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Anyway, the point is that you don't have to look at a spec sheet to realise the Jolla is low specced and poor quality. It looks cheap, feels cheap, the screen is very obviously low resolution and is the worst I've seen on any remotely expensive smartphone in terms of daylight/outdoor visibility in the last 3 or 4 years. The camera produces poor photos in ideal conditions and is practically useless in challenging or low light. The phone begins to slow down very noticeably when a few apps are open and media takes a while to load / buffer. Fit of the battery is poor and TOH provides no environmental seal at all.
You do have some valid points there.

The number one problem is the camera quality. That is the single one thing I'd like to change if possible.

Also the point on TOH not having environmental protection, that is true also. Having a real sealed IP-something-specced construction like on Sony devices would be really good, but unfortunately realising that with a changeable TOH concept is difficult: at least that'd rule out the best thing about the TOH's, being able to print your own, with functionality like available from @kimmoli & @dirkvl!
(at least I think having a sealed construction in the TOH like is on back covers of Samsung Xcover toughphones would not be reachable using commercially available 3d printing technologies...?)

The display is not very bright, and not very usable in bright light. However the colours are nice and resolution is enough for my use.
(And I have not yet found any device to be good to use in brightly lit summer sun, except for old B&W LCD displays...)

Otherwice I disagree with your observations: My Jolla feels not cheap, but well made and sturdy.
Even as I think the metallic part is only thin shell over plastic, it looks and feels good and has good resistance to wear.
Also the design with alternating flat and rounded edges is pleasingly industrial and fresh when comapred to usual "soap-box-designs" of some large manufacturers

As for being slow to use&load, I have not noticed that.
I feel that my device is very quick to respond, very intuitive and fluid to use.
Also the current consumption of the device is low, the battery lasts very well in my use.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Jolla price their phones at what people are prepared to pay for a unique phone. They don't need to be competitive with Android phones or iPhones. It's not a difficult concept to grasp surely?
Oh, that may have been true for the First Ones, but I'd argue that Jolla does indeed have to competitive with both in order to achieve the sales figures that they originally suggested they wanted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Indian consumers are very spec-conscious. It may be hard to convince them to buy it even at this lower price. The Android One phones released in India just last week have comparable specs and identical screen size and resolution to the Jolla and cost Rs 10000 (€127) less.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Oh, that may have been true for the First Ones, but I'd argue that Jolla does indeed have to competitive with both in order to achieve the sales figures that they originally suggested they wanted.
A product is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Your job as a salesperson is to convince the buyer it's worth it. When you can't do that your LAST resort is pricing.

One can only presume from the pricing and the pricing of comparable products that Jolla are happy with more profit and their sales strategy is working for them. It's almost Apple like rather than Nokia like.

They aren't some daft Silicon Valley startup burning through cash with no income. They aren't a massive ODM hoping to make profit with volume. They aren't an Asian Android forker with dubious ideas on copyright law, support and software updates.

These things may not matter to you and price may be the number one priority. It isn't mine. The question then is how many people can Jolla convince. If it's just 'The First Ones' then they're probably in trouble but that doesn't seem to be the case as the price is generally holding up.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
A product is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Your job as a salesperson is to convince the buyer it's worth it. When you can't do that your LAST resort is pricing.
Actually, it's a first resort if your company isn't called Apple or Samsung. You know how many times it has happened that sales persons in stores are forcing phones from Apple or Samsung upon you? Search the Crackberry website to see how many times that has happened to Blackberry, webOS Nation how many times that has happened to Palm/HP and Windows Phone Central how many times that has happened to Nokia and HTC. (and it has happened here as well when my mum wanted a BB Z30 at the T-Mobile store, they laughed straight to her face)
Tip of the iceberg: it has happened A LOT of times. Now those brands actually have a well known name and they get patronized by sales persons. I can only imagine how Jolla would get totally ignored instead of patronized by sales persons because Jolla isn't a well known name yet. Which means they *have* to undercut the price so that they at least have a chance of getting nice advertisements out there.

Last edited by vistaus; 2014-09-23 at 09:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Of all the minor things that I read here on TMO, I still want to support Jolla and Sailfish OS to be succeed.
And if Jolla come to my country with similar pricing, I most likely will buy one.
But if the price is higher, I probably still want to buy one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zero Six For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I think it's great that Jolla are now available in a massive, massive market and that this phone is being priced reasonably. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, we see the price reduced further in the European markets.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Indian consumers are very spec-conscious. It may be hard to convince them to buy it even at this lower price. The Android One phones released in India just last week have comparable specs and identical screen size and resolution to the Jolla and cost Rs 10000 (€127) less.
Valid points, No matter how good OS is, customer always wants to see something new,exclusive, latest and here Jolla missing so many things ; Screen, Camera etc.
Jolla should bring another decently priced model containing latest hardware then only they can survive in market like India.

Last edited by DieHard; 2014-09-24 at 12:21. Reason: correction