When you play divx Video, or surf with 3g and download something, or f.e. playing a game like angry birds, how long does your n900 last?
I meant heavy usage, and i should say my battery is not new.

If not using the n900 and wlan enabled it will last some (3?) days i think (expectation from batterygraph as its heavily used)
Ok maybe conky and htop where only usefull for me as i had an issue with trackerd after putting a few thousand files and folders on the sd-card.

trying powertop right now ...thanks

Last edited by eight; 2012-01-02 at 17:13.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@eight, my typical usage is :

disconnecting the charger in the morning about 9, all day constantly connected to either GPRS or WiFi, 4 IM accounts logged on (GTalk, facebook, skype and IRC), 3 email accounts checked every 2 hours(2 pop3 and 1 gmail), BT headset connected all the day, 2-4 hours of browsing using either microb or helium-mobile-browser, some chat, several SMSs, some music through FM TX while going to work and back (my work is located near my home, so not much),used as a primary phone. When I am back home (around 6 p.m.) I have about 40-60 % battery charge remaining(depending on whether I've done other stuff as well). Don't know if that is heavy usage .

My sister's n900 (with similar setup,primary phone) lasts 3-4 days but she is not using it for browsing.

Also have in mind that it is the display which is the main consumer, not the CPU, so if you keep it always on your battery charge won't last long

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Battery life is one reason( google for race-to-idle), HD recording/playback is one of the others.
Yup. Then again, I normally have plenty of battery to last me through the day, and I see no point to HD recording/playback on the N900. (If you really want quality high-res video recording, you shouldn't be using a phone in the first place; and playing HD video on a 800x480 screen is just a waste of storage space and processor power. Like I said, I handbrake videos to the appropriate size before loading them on my machine.)

Anyway, just my opinion...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Yup. Then again, I normally have plenty of battery to last me through the day, and I see no point to HD recording/playback on the N900. (If you really want quality high-res video recording, you shouldn't be using a phone in the first place; and playing HD video on a 800x480 screen is just a waste of storage space and processor power. Like I said, I handbrake videos to the appropriate size before loading them on my machine.)

Anyway, just my opinion...
Ever checked the quality of 1024x576@30 or 1280x720@25, 13-15 Mbs video recorded with n900 camera? And while you may have enough time and will to play with re-encoding SW, there are people who don't have it. Not saying that you don't have your point, different people, different use cases, yet it is better to have options.

Also have in mind that every battery could be recharged only a limited number of times, so that prolongs the life of the battery too. Not that a new battery is expensive, but still.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
"My sister's n900 (with similar setup,primary phone) lasts 3-4 days but she is not using it for browsing." Seriously?!!?! No ways could I ever get that lol

Overclocking is all just down to personal preference, if you don't play games then why bother? i jam a bit of PS1/GBA now and then so is handy to overclock but there are a few threads on here with people poopooing the idea.

Batterypatch seems to get my battery running longer but battery graph shows only a slight change in battery drain so it could just be the update to power kernel 49, no problems as others have found though so im not complaining.

I listen to a bit of tunes on the way into work, say 10mins max, emails checked every few hours, a few txts and a few calls and my phone is porbably also around the 60-40% mark my office seems to be lead lined though so having my phone connected even to GPRS kills the phone much quicker!

@freemangordon

Ok, my usage is different. I'm using it almost only as a tablet and ultra-mobile netbook replacement with a data-sim. Calls are made with a second mobile and another sim-card for calls.

Heavy usage and 3 - 6 hours is really meant as 100% - 50% cpu usage over hours. For example running a python script, a small webserver, some usage of the memory and cpu-usage of 40% my battery lasts approximately 4 hours.

I think the battery is 1,5 years old, time to get two or three new BL-5J, or something like that: Powerbank 5000 mAh

2-4 hours of browsing using either microb or helium-mobile-browser,
Sorry for off-topic how did you get the helium-mobile-browser on the n900 or you are using it via nemo?
Thanks

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
--snip--
3 email accounts checked every 2 hours(2 pop3 and 1 gmail)
--snip--
what email client did you use, modest or other mail client?
how did you make it work?

@freemangordon
I have talked about the battery-patch NOT about speed-patch. This is not the same. Battery-patch is a simple way to to overclock without any knowledge. Sure you can do even better if knowing what to do, BUT it works fine and it helps to save battery, too. So this is an easy way for a beginner - I think.

Greetings

disconnecting the charger in the morning about 9, all day constantly connected to either GPRS or WiFi, 4 IM accounts logged on (GTalk, facebook, skype and IRC), 3 email accounts checked every 2 hours(2 pop3 and 1 gmail), BT headset connected all the day, 2-4 hours of browsing using either microb or helium-mobile-browser, some chat, several SMSs, some music through FM TX while going to work and back (my work is located near my home, so not much),used as a primary phone. When I am back home (around 6 p.m.) I have about 40-60 % battery charge remaining(depending on whether I've done other stuff as well). Don't know if that is heavy usage .

My sister's n900 (with similar setup,primary phone) lasts 3-4 days but she is not using it for browsing.

Also have in mind that it is the display which is the main consumer, not the CPU, so if you keep it always on your battery charge won't last long
i dont believe that , wifi usage on N900 doesnt last for more than 2 constant hours .batter gives up and usually i have to put a charger with it. I am using my laptop wifi ( turning my wire-net to a wireless connection and thus having about 100 mb or sometimes 50 mb / sec running on my N900.Probably that could be a reason but yes of course due to some great dsp profiles ,N900 batters has been improved a lot .it stays there for a day or so with a 40 % usage including browsing , songs ,picture taking etc ..
overclocking with kp49 is stable i would say ,rest the current 250-805 profile means the N900 is already overclocked and its good enough like that .