so much typing... so little result... whats the use of this? Its highly anoying to typ a code in the terminal everytime i connect a keyboard. cant you guy just make a plugin so it will simply work? why isnt it supported in the first place?

When connected to a bluetooth keyboard, the n900 recognise it as a keyboard. why isnt it switching to the right config file?? Why doesn't the n900 even has this config file!!!

Man o man nokia really needs allot of work to get everything working on the n900!

Dont get me wrong guys its awsome that you guys are finding ways to fix it for the users. But dont you agree, that when you connect a n900 with a keyboard and the n900 even shows a keyboard logo in front of its name at the bluetooth connections. it should atleast work with the standard keys on the board?

Im getting a little sad! I bought a keyboard especially for the n900 just to know it aint working descent.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
Firstly, a lot of hard work by the guys on this forum have been spent on finding a workaround for this Nokia shortcoming so please don't rant at the good guys. As for having to type code into xterminal each time you use it you could look around these forums and find out how to create a desktop shortcut to do this for you.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
Firstly, a lot of hard work by the guys on this forum have been spent on finding a workaround for this Nokia shortcoming so please don't rant at the good guys. As for having to type code into xterminal each time you use it you could look around these forums and find out how to create a desktop shortcut to do this for you.
More precise, posts #219 and #240.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakoleh For This Useful Post:
Well offcourse i love the work of the community. But few people keep in mind that there are allot of people like me who just starting to understand how the whole picture works. and with codes like these @ #219 i dont understand what to do.

Some people are working with maemo for years. i just used it for a few months. i can flash the device i can change LED patterns, change system icons and sounds.. but codes like this i really dont understand.

Its the lack of good explaination for "the dummies" who want to learn maemo i think scaring them off.

Not to mention 50+ pages most of these threads have.

The Following User Says Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
Look, if you want to complain, complain to Nokia about not supporting bluetooth keyboards directly, this is not the right place to complain. If this thread did not exist, you probably won't be able to use the bluetooth keyboard AT ALL, unless you figured it out yourself.
This is not a support forum for "regular" users. This whole forum requires at least some technical knowledge, and since Maemo is linux based, if you want to hack around it, some knowledge of linux is a must, otherwise not only that you might not understand things, but you can even brick your device.

P.S.: I work with Maemo for 1 month and 1 week. I have never had any Maemo-based device before.

Last edited by JoHnY; 2010-03-09 at 10:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to JoHnY For This Useful Post:
I do not know if this helps or adds to the mess, but I thought I would follow up that my Palm Bluetooth keyboard 3245WW as of the last OS update now works partially, (Maemo 5 3.2010.02-8.002).
Previously (as had been for others), I could pair up, but never get input to work with the keyboard. Other bluetooth worked (stereo in the Prius, headsets with Skype, etc).
After the last update, now the keyboard mostly "just works", upper and lower case letters work, and the period and comma work, but all the numbers, and many of the symbols like quotes, do not work. It is possible with all the fiddling I did trying to get it working over the months, that this is due to my own errors. I will try to roll at least the config files back to original just in case (unless anyone advises me to do otherwise).
At least there is some hope now on the horizon, this has been a significant show stopper for me in the adoption of the n900 as a primary device, really looking forward to it's improvements. Let me know if I need to provide any dumps, or other information that may be useful.
Cheers!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
So, there are heroes in the trenches. Does that mean people stop complaining? It does not. And I just don't buy that people on this site shouldn't complain. This site is financed by Nokia as a service to its customers and others in the community. If people are mad, this is a decent place to express that feeling, while working to help solve problems. There may be better places, but if your hammer breaks and you hurt your hand, when do you swear? Now.

That said, I'm hoping to use some of these instructions on my own bt keyboard -- when I decide to buy one.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There may be better places, but if your hammer breaks and you hurt your hand, when do you swear? Now.
Yeah, but you don't scold to the person who is just trying to fix your hammer.

The Following User Says Thank You to JoHnY For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I haven't followed this thread at all but has anyone seen a post I made a few months ago?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=408688&postcount=1

By changing the rules, I'm forcing my N800 to always interpret pc105 input.

Not sure if this helps anyone but thought it might.deserve a quick mention.

Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Just to add another data point, I just paired a Logitech diNovo Edge with a N900 running PR1.1 (flashed, not updated OTA, input enabled in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf) using the GUI. It wouldn't connect from the GUI, but using the bluez D-Bus interface from the command line worked:
Code:
# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez \
            / org.bluez.Manager.DefaultAdapter

object path "/org/bluez/11984/hci0"

# dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.bluez \
            /org/bluez/11984/hci0/dev_00_07_61_75_xx_xx \
            org.bluez.Input.Connect
Originally Posted by technosopher View Post
Hi people,
This may be the result of me typing something incorrectly, but after entering the command that should theoretically complete the basic pairing setup, I'm presented with the following error message:

Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist
Thanks!
Hey guys, I was reading the post on how to connect a BT keyboard and I have the same problem. There seems not to be the Method Connect after org.bluez.input

I have a DiNovo Edge, the same keyboard pH5 has so the problem is not from the keyboard.

I also enabled input in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf