MS now craves good publicity, they organize things like Debian 8 release celebration (this cost them at least 50k), release first program that works straight away on linux ('code' for visual studio), sharp was open sourced, what a great time for maemo, because MS bought maemo from nokia. Open sourcing it costs them 0, and we can bring tons of good publicity just by cheering. Slashdot, reddit, you name it, will write about MS doing what nokia never could, so much more open they would be. Next announcement maemo programs run natively on windows 10

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
it costs them lawyer fees?

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
it costs them lawyer fees?
MS unlike nokia have 1k lawyers hired around the clock, checking maemo is a little nuisance, still covered by running costs (edit: and they just bought it, you believe it wasn't lawyer reviewed before buying?)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-04-30 at 21:54.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
and they just bought it
Did they buy it or was it just baggage that came with the bits of Nokia that they bought?

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
not if they see this post
goddammit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
not if they see this post
goddammit
It's not like the right thing to do, becomes wrong when someone is discussing it. Shhh... lets not give them any ideas or they might open source whole windows

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Did they buy it or was it just baggage that came with the bits of Nokia that they bought?
Good point, it might be like the ark of the covenant in indiana jones disappearing in a warehouse. But worth a try? They really appreciate good PR in the open source community since a while, dusting off that crate might stil be possible?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
To be honest, I think we should really get in touch with MS, if not for opensourcing maemo (I don't believe it will happen), but for allowing the community to host the stuff that was on OVI and Nokia repos.

Do we still have council (seriously, I got lost in all this 3 letter abbreviations)? Or it is some other entity that should initiate that contact.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
just call this guy...

GL with that

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
To be honest, I think we should really get in touch with MS, if not for opensourcing maemo (I don't believe it will happen), but for allowing the community to host the stuff that was on OVI and Nokia repos.

Do we still have council (seriously, I got lost in all this 3 letter abbreviations)? Or it is some other entity that should initiate that contact.
They are in 'we LOOOVE open source here in Microsoft, soon we will adopt motto do no evil' phase, might as well ask them for the source, can we get anyone with high following to tweet at them?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post: