Posts: 103 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Fortaleza @ Brazil
I want to buy a new smartphone and i already had a Nokia N800 and liked very much, Maemo 4 is a very powerful mobile operating system and this can open new possibilities for me, but it lacks a good amount of softwares that we have in Android, iPhone OS and for WebOS. In Maemo 4, we have few amount of softwares but i can find few apps but messenger apps, multimedia, web browsers and a system that is powered by a full GNU/Linux is a very interesting possibility. A very important item to me is a QWERTY keyboard.

The hardware of Nokia N900 seems to be very interesting, a very good camera, good conectivity, HSDPA running in a 2100 Mhz frequency (here in Brazil, the GSM Carriers operates in this frequency).

And other possibility is to run the Android 2.2 and WebOS Games using the preenv softwares and this can transform this cell phone in a true portable videogame and i like mobile games.

I would like to know if this cell phone can be a good option today, i work everyday with Linux and the Linux Console is not a nightmare to me and the previous experience with N800 was good (except because the slowness of operating system with a 400 mhz processor and few ram memory).

I think that this smartphone have a "geek appeal" but i want to know if nitdroid it's useful and can be considered as a option to run two operating system (Android to run new commercial apps and Maemo to be the main operating system and to test new possibilities (Debian for Maemo it's a very good option).

About my description, N900 can be a good option to me?

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
i personally would like to recommend ya ,last night when i was watching a programme on N900,one of my iphone 4 holder friend asked me with big eyes,huh you playing this on your N900?how come ? the multitasking,people were amazed,i played a video in KM player and for fun i pressed SHIFT+ctrl+p ,guess what same video was playing in different windows ,it was total fun .
seriously if anyone thinks he is looking for the best so far ,N900 should be the first .
issues: no flash 10 update , flv videos lag sometimes,not much games availabe (like android or iphone has them) ..anyway internet is a world of modern people .you better check for yourself .
i definitely gonna recommend you to buy only N900.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Nitdroid works, except for the phone part, BUT, the last info is that there is already some progress, here is the topic:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66459

There are 2 (on the top of my head) other major things like:
The Community SSU:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67905
Ovi maps with voice guidance:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66985

What I say: Even Nokia having to ensure the phone, from now on the n900 software is on its own. Nokia will not even look to it. If you pretend to multitask, doesn't care about having to mess with it on its own, don't care much about lots of apps or that they will age (the twitter plugin for the conversations isn't working anymore for instance, but the programs are still being updated), and prefer something with a resistive(more precision) screen, n900 is the only one that can do it flawlessly.
BUT, if you won't multitask much, want something that is more modern(n900 has a bunch of things but is getting outdated), will have more support and want a bunch of apps, and a capacitive screen, I recommend other thing.

But, it is just my opinion |:)

BTW, what are the options at your disposal??

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Ya that is what i think!
But one thing abou nitdroid you may dislike.because it eat battry! Like hot cake! Also every time rebooting for .NITdroid is the thing i dislike.other things you will surly enjoy!i good luck

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The N900 doesn't run Android very well (and, from what I understand, doesn't QUITE set up the mounts the way Android systems are normally set up... so it's a lot of problem hacking). If you intend to use Android in any serious way (i.e. as a phone), you might as well get yourself a used Android device for cheap AND pick up a used N900 for cheap.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by guisoliver View Post
I would like to know if this cell phone can be a good option today
As can be seen in other threads, Nokia are no longer making or repairing them but are now replacing them with Symbian devices when they break. The N900 has at least two common defects (USB ports that fall of and bright spots on the screen developing over time), so caveat emptor. Also, another concern when considering the second-hand market is that many of these devices have been overclocked to within an inch of their life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Manila
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
i personally would like to recommend ya ,last night when i was watching a programme on N900,one of my iphone 4 holder friend asked me with big eyes,huh you playing this on your N900?how come ? the multitasking,people were amazed,i played a video in KM player and for fun i pressed SHIFT+ctrl+p ,guess what same video was playing in different windows ,it was total fun .
seriously if anyone thinks he is looking for the best so far ,N900 should be the first .
issues: no flash 10 update , flv videos lag sometimes,not much games availabe (like android or iphone has them) ..anyway internet is a world of modern people .you better check for yourself .
i definitely gonna recommend you to buy only N900.
heeeey i played something on KMPlayer then tried pressing SHIFT+Ctrl+p but nothing happened

I doubt it that you can get a stock new one, last time I check in nearby nokia store around my area, N900 already removed from catalog, hopefully you'll get a new one!

apps work on android all i test.

even 3d games and its fast.

what doesnt for some its telephony. camera. but that wat maemo is for.

i wish myriad dalvik released for n900 so i could get whatsapp and liveprofil and a few apps without having to reboot.

really someone should make open source alternative for alien dalvik on linux, for maemo->meego maybe even symbian.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kent_autistic View Post
heeeey i played something on KMPlayer then tried pressing SHIFT+Ctrl+p but nothing happened
Did you try UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A and then press START?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: