Notices

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I've found it slow, but again, I was expecting it to because its an alpha release. One bug I've found is you can use the Fn key on web input forms. So its kind of a pain trying to log into a web account when you can use the @ sign or numbers. Those symbols work fine in the URL bar though.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Mm, it is slow. I was hoping this would make the web experience faster. Maybe if it gets optimized..

I'm starting to feel the biggest problem with the nokias is not the CPU but the lack of graphic optimizations.. hell, even my old 1500mhz computer runs slow if I don't install the graphic drivers (scrolling websites with images is really slow).

microB is quite alright but I still having some hopes that it can be better..

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
horribly slow. But it's alpha. Am I the only one that is annoyed by the "page" sidebar taking up valuable space? I couldn't get rid of it. I think it will be good when it reaches a late beta stage (though that's probably stating the obvious)
They mentioned that they have not focused on optimizing the speed yet ... just wanted to get a UI preview out there. I hold out hope that things will get much faster.

As for the tab side bar, dragging right to left should close it again. At least that did it for me.

This thing is snail slow and eats all available memory on my device--I don't see how this will ever be a viable browser on the current Nseries tablet devices. Maybe it will work comfortably on the next generation Maemo 5-based devices.

OTOH, I should say I'm glad that someone is thinking about browser UI in a mobile, touch-driven world (besides Apple).

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
SLOW?

Yes, Fennec is currently slow. I had some chats with the developers. Increasing the performance is currently a blocker for a stable release, and is very high in the priority list.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I like the UI, which seems like a huge step forward for mobile browsing. Has anyone been able to load ITT on their tablet with Fennec? Anytime I try to open ITT the device bogs down and Fennec needs to be exited.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
My whole NIT crashed when I tried to load Internettablettalk.com. Now its loading it, but nothing appears (yet).

Posted with Fennec on Linux/x86-64. I went to main page, forums, to this topic.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ near Memphis, TN USA
I got it to work, and am actually replying with it now. I like the UI, but the speed is killing me. I will have to wait for an update to try it again.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
They mentioned that they have not focused on optimizing the speed yet ... just wanted to get a UI preview out there. I hold out hope that things will get much faster.

As for the tab side bar, dragging right to left should close it again. At least that did it for me.
In my case any attempts to swipe to the right to get rid of the "page" bar resulted in the page bar reappearing or bringing up the opposing "tools" bar. I eventually just gave up. I'm a Mac user, I have little patience for this kind of thing. :-)

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
seems to work, (other than here,) looks good, swipes react fine for me.

slow as molasses running down a snail riding a mule in the Kentucky derby.

anxiously awaiting an optimized version. 8-)