Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
[...] have you guys considered the potential patent lawsuits? I mean, is it possible at all that some other company (maybe even the new MSokia) can sue you/us for distributing Neo900 without licensing fees?
I don't see any patented circuitry in GTA04, and this won't change much for GTA04-NeoN board. You're never safe from patent trolls, but I think they have better targets to make money from than us. No money, no competition to knock out -> no interest in trolling.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I don't see any patented circuitry in GTA04, and this won't change much for GTA04-NeoN board. You're never safe from patent trolls, but I think they have better targets to make money from than us. No money, no competition to knock out -> no interest in trolling.
/j
Thanks for your response. I was rather thinking about Nokia trying to block Neo900 due to usage of Nokia software (Maemo closed parts which may still be owned by Nokia - but I may be wrong, as some property rights to redistribute the software were passed onto Hildon Foundation, but I didn't follow that process with too much attention back then).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your response. I was rather thinking about Nokia trying to block Neo900 due to usage of Nokia software (Maemo closed parts which may still be owned by Nokia - but I may be wrong, as some property rights to redistribute the software were passed onto Hildon Foundation, but I didn't follow that process with too much attention back then).
We won't ship preinstalled OS, or maybe just a plain debian with an install script for maemo
/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I mean, is it possible at all that some other company (maybe even the new MSokia) can sue you/us for distributing Neo900 without licensing fees?
i don't think so. the board itself is not an exact replica of N900, it's not even based on N900 board design. and other parts are "just the parts we found on market", so any legal question should be addressed to part manufacturers.

p.s. and i don't think that Neo900 will be profitable enough to start any law suits. hey, i mean there is no plans to sell even 10000–20000 devices! %-)

Last edited by ketmar; 2013-09-09 at 12:00.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
All problems got considered and found moot. Don't worry it will work :-) Even while it violates IrDA specs (which is a reason we don't usually see it being done, along with power consumption reasons) IrDA transceivers always come with LED and photodiode in a module, nobody usually puts a second IR LED in just for fun, after all it's IrDA and not meant for CIR.
Oh, well, if we're talking installing two LEDs here (one for IrDA and another for CIR), then that would get around the issue easily. Just use the appropriate LED for either task. It still might not be so usable as a learning remote, but everything else should work. (As I've probably mentioned before, I'm not a hardware guy, I don't know these things...)

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I might be wrong but I thing Copernicus meant over-saturating our own receiver. We might need to reduce the output power in full duplex mode. Actually, maybe even in half duplex mode since saturated semiconductors tend to take some time to get out of the saturation.
I don't think full duplex is ever used... From the IrDA Wiki page,

IrDA data communications operate in half-duplex mode because while transmitting, a device’s receiver is blinded by the light of its own transmitter, and thus, full-duplex communication is not feasible. The two devices that communicate simulate full duplex communication by quickly turning the link around. The primary device controls the timing of the link, but both sides are bound to certain hard constraints and are encouraged to turn the link around as fast as possible.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
With a quality stereo line-in I would pay 600 euros for this, no question. I've wanted stereo line-in on N900 for so long!

Are there any estimates on how well the old N900 batteries will power this new board?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wumpwoast For This Useful Post:
Is it not possible to have a more powerful cpu and gpu maybe.something with multiple cores and/or higher clock speed?

Will this new board remove any old functionality, ie the nice camera, cm transmitter and receiver etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigRobbo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CraigRobbo View Post
Will this new board remove any old functionality, ie the nice camera, cm transmitter and receiver etc?
just look at this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wumpwoast View Post
With a quality stereo line-in I would pay 600 euros for this, no question. I've wanted stereo line-in on N900 for so long!

Are there any estimates on how well the old N900 batteries will power this new board?
And I've never understood the "we don't need that" philosophy of device designers aka my EE colleagues, when a thing like audio-in is already there and paid for. So yes, you most definitely will see audio-in, usual HiFi line-in level and quality if we don't mess it up ;-) (never discuss with HiFi fanatics). Pondering stereo built-in mics too.

Battery standby and active time should be roughly similar to N900, though this is one of the most hard to predict things of a new design. Evaluations are not even finalized for the GTA04 yet.

/j

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
So yes, you most definitely will see audio-in, usual HiFi line-in level and quality if we don't mess it up ;-) (never discuss with HiFi fanatics). Pondering stereo built-in mics too.
^This is digital orgasm for live concerts (aka "shows") recording fanatics like me, too. It *was* possible on N900, although using bulky and battery-life inefficient method of having external audio card connected to N900 via hostmode, then, stereo microphones to it.

Now, if we're going to be able to connect external stereo microphone via jack line-in on device itself, then it's a heaven. Build-in stereo mic, albeit not so crucial, is nice, too.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!