Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Exactly. I have never hard of silent SMS'es used for spying/tracking on people...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Silent SMS are the means used by both telephone network and police to track people. By the way, does N900 currently support Flash SMS?
Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-09-09 at 21:06. Reason: misprint

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Silent SMS are the means used by both telephone network and police to track people. By the way, does N900 currently support Flash SMS?
Best wishes.
Thanks... was searching for it, but got a phone call distracting me.

Here's a working link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_M...ice#Silent_SMS

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Frankly, no one need to use SMS to track you. It can be done via basic keep-alives TX/RX with cell tower
That's exactly what 'silent SMS' stands for. Keep Alive pings. I want those exposed as silent SMS for tracking vary a little in their byte output from normal keep alive pings.

Even normal keep alive pings don't come as often as 'silent SMS' So any indication would be nice to at least know you're beeing tracked.

That's all I was asking for, if it's possible.

Cheers

Last edited by MoritzJT; 2013-09-09 at 21:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoritzJT For This Useful Post:
actually, it's a feature of modem hardware, AFAIR. hw can choose to answer to some sms without even notifying the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ketmar View Post
actually, it's a feature of modem hardware, AFAIR. hw can choose to answer to some sms without even notifying the device.
That's what I'm asking. Does this go deep enough into the Baseband to keep track of what's happening on the old HW platform the N900 uses, or is it not going deep enough and we don't have a chance to see what's going on without open Baseband HW.

The Following User Says Thank You to MoritzJT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by MoritzJT View Post
That's what I'm asking. Does this go deep enough into the Baseband to keep track of what's happening on the old HW platform the N900 uses, or is it not going deep enough and we don't have a chance to see what's going on without open Baseband HW.
No, this does not go that deep. It's about daemon that works as a middleware between modem and higher level software, not about the modem itself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Thank you for clarifying :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to MoritzJT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Quite a few ex-Nokians that worked on the N900 can be found on LinkedIn. A quick search yields some interesting results. Maybe some of these people will be willing help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I would comment that attempts to avoid tracking are quite futile.
As Estel pointed out, there are "keep-alives".. those are actually called Location Updates (although their resolution is quite limited); there are data network versions called Routing Area Updates.
There are *many* other ways to know where your cell phone is, and it is a must. Else, the telco network wouldn't be able to ring your phone when a call comes in, or do other stuff.
I've also heard of methods called Geo-Location Tagging (probably won't appear on google) which is quite accurate.
SMS is only on the circuit switched network; the packet switched network, if your turn on your data connection, would open another circuit from your phone to the telco network, providing one more circuit that can be tracked from the operator network.

You can go look up signalling that happens between the phone & operator network under GSM, GPRS, 3G (HSPA), etc signalling.

The only way to be sure you are not tracked is to turn off your phone.

kh

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bozoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post
The only way to be sure you are not tracked is to turn off your phone.
And remove battery, as most nowadays devices (aka build in last 10 years, or even more) are able to power modem and allow "emergency tracking" even when turned off. I don't have idea how it looks in N900 case.

Thankfuly, the built-in bupbats aren't enough (yet) to allow tracking without real battery inside... Well, at least, not for prolonged time, so it's not implemented (or we don't know about it, yet )

/Estel

// Edit

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
By the way, does N900 currently support Flash SMS?
Best wishes.
Yes, it does. It comes up as pop-up notification (the black one, not yellow banner).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-09-10 at 03:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: