Active Topics

I was wondering if there is somethong to be able to overclock the tablet, or if it is even possible.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by B18DelSolT
I was wondering if there is somethong to be able to overclock the tablet, or if it is even possible.
Since the system is based on a TI OMAP and Nokia is not a computer architecture house, my guess is that they followed the TI recommendations in terms of system clocking. As such, you might squeak 10% more out of the thing--would that be worth the requisite brain surgery that would be needed?

Plus it would draw more power and run hotter.

This is an old thread that needs to be resurrected.

Now that the Blackjack phone is out and shares the same proc with our 770, we can see some more of the 1710s capabilities.

There is a proggy called OMAP overclock and people are seeing some improvement in video playback. We also can examine the Java performance. It is a WM based machine but still it might give insight on the 770s unleased potential

Ressourection2

Are there any news about an Linux/Maemo Port of this tool?
I'd like to underclock my 770, while listening to I-Radio streams only to safe battery power.

Really great would be an automatically adjustment of the core clock speed, according to the processor load.

I guess this would be a huge improvement for each user.

Regards,

McK

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by McKebapp View Post
Ressourection2
I'd like to underclock my 770, while listening to I-Radio streams only to safe battery power.
This won't save anything. Better seach this forum for reducing WLAN PSM timeout which will save much in this case. Main CPU does almost nothing while streaming radio. wi-fi chip is the one consuming most power and DSP plays MP3 audio.
Originally Posted by McKebapp View Post
Really great would be an automatically adjustment of the core clock speed, according to the processor load.

I guess this would be a huge improvement for each user.
No, this won't be huge improvement at all. OMAP power management is pretty good in N770. Maybe you noticed that when the device is doing nothing it can last days while it is 'turned on'. In 99% of cases you don't want the clock run slower. You want it to run as fast as possible to have the job done quickly and go to sleep state as soon as possible. That will save much more energy that running longer on slow clock.

The only real usage for underclocking is when running something that constantly run at 100% CPU and runs too fast (perhaps some badly written emulator).

So to sum it up - over/underclocking n770 (ot N800) makes little sense.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-07-13 at 10:39. Reason: typo, what->when

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
So to sum it up - over/underclocking n770 (ot N800) makes little sense.
Actually it _does_ make sense, in terms of Dynamic Voltage and Frequence Scaling.

The 770 case has not been evaluated, but for n800, you can refer to our presentation for the linux-pm summit held before OLS

http://www.slideshare.net/igor_stopp...ernet-tablets/

For 770, VCORE is provided by a chip that has not been designed with DVFS in mind, so it might not be that interesting: DFS alone doesn't provide much savings.

Last edited by igor; 2007-07-13 at 09:14.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by igor View Post
For 770, VCORE is provided by a chip that has not been designed with DVFS in mind, so it might not be that interesting: DFS alone doesn't provide much savings.
Thanks for clearing it up. So to sum it - over/underclocking n770 makes little sense because frequency scaling alone does not save much. Over/underclocking N800 make better sense because of possible voltage scaling (undervolting) when the clock runs slower.

But still the CPU (i.e the ARM core) is only one piece of the puzzle and when it is not used much (like the internet radio case above or most other use cases) the savings are not substantial, correct?

Do I understand it correctly that when CPU is idle it is in some sleep state where voltage/frequency doesn't matter at all so the only savings gained by D(V)FS are when CPU is actually doing something (i.e executing code)?

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland

Thanks for clearing it up. So to sum it - over/underclocking n770 makes little sense because frequency scaling alone does not save much. Over/underclocking N800 make better sense because of possible voltage scaling (undervolting) when the clock runs slower.
However it might be that even on 770 something could be obtained. I'm just saying that the n800 HW has been specifically designed for doing it, while the 770 wasn't intended (but it might be possible).

But still the CPU (i.e the ARM core) is only one piece of the puzzle and when it is not used much (like the internet radio case above or most other use cases) the savings are not substantial, correct?
The summary is that "it depends". So the total current (measured from the battery) is what must be optimised.

Do I understand it correctly that when CPU is idle it is in some sleep state where voltage/frequency doesn't matter at all so the only savings gained by D(V)FS are when CPU is actually doing something (i.e executing code)?
Yes, in OMAP2 it is called retention (Deep sleep in OMAP1) and can be described as: sysclock stop, vcore lowered.

Last edited by igor; 2007-07-13 at 12:04.