Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
^ the idea is good, but not as easy at is seems at first sight. Stars/planets are easy as you're moving in 2D (=no closer/further targets on the same direction). With 'real life' situations, you have to discover WHAT you're aiming the phone at, and that's not easy, even if you have compass and camera input, due to sensor/pointing errors and multiple targets being in the given direction, objects obscuring each other, etc. To reiterate, the idea is cool, and sooner or later somebody will do it, but this Star Droid is far-far-far from that as it does not rely on any actual input from outside sources (apart from Earth's gravity and magnetic field, that is Now, if any of these devices would have a built-in laser distance meter, that would be a very different story.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The word "manufacture" is used very loosely these days. For example, the tablets start in Asia (Korea last time I checked) and are final-assembled in Mexico (used to be US before our factory shut down). So I'm sure the netbooks will experience something similar. Final "assembly" in the US could be something as basic as loading location-specific software or applying other value dictated by a US-based partner/customer...
That makes sense, though I call that "localization" or "rebranding". I don't think there is any MID/UMPC/netbook that is currently assembled in the United States in a way more substantial than that (but I could be wrong).

but not as easy at is seems at first sight.
That's the interesting part of course

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
A personal wish:

Personally, I would rather the N900 kept the existing screen size (maybe a slightly smaller one), and shrunk the overall device. Seriously, as it stands now, its barely small enough to be pocketable, and is not very comfortable for me. A smaller device would be great!

Also, I would love some sort of capacitive screen. After using the iPod Touch for 2 mins, it's quite clear that for finger input it is far superior to the N810. The screen is also more durable. I feel as though I have to baby the N810, whereas the iPod touch is a rock.

Perhaps some sort of active digitizer with magno-pen?

YARR!
}:^)~

ManoCorrupt

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Also, I would love some sort of capacitive screen. After using the iPod Touch for 2 mins, it's quite clear that for finger input it is far superior to the N810. The screen is also more durable. I feel as though I have to baby the N810, whereas the iPod touch is a rock.
We've discussed this before. Capacitive simply isn't suitable for the current tablets.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
A personal wish:

Personally, I would rather the N900 kept the existing screen size (maybe a slightly smaller one),
I definitely don't want the screen to be any smaller. I would actually go the opposite direction: slightly larger, but still pocketable.

For the device being smaller ... only if it can still house the same functionality + growth due to the advance of the device category. More Ram, more storage, more battery, both mini-usb for client/charging, and micro-USB for host/otg, 3.5mm headset jack, some type of SD card slot, as well as adding the internal 3G circuitry, and some form of display-out capability (I'd prefer mini or micro dvi-i out). I don't see that giving much capability to make the device smaller.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We've discussed this before. Capacitive simply isn't suitable for the current tablets.
Discussed, though I don't recall any unanimous agreement being reached. In any case, I'm not looking for an argument, so I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted by johnkzin
For the device being smaller ... only if it can still house the same functionality + growth due to the advance of the device category. More Ram, more storage, more battery, both mini-usb for client/charging, and micro-USB for host/otg, 3.5mm headset jack, some type of SD card slot, as well as adding the internal 3G circuitry, and some form of display-out capability (I'd prefer mini or micro dvi-i out). I don't see that giving much capability to make the device smaller.
This seems to be possible for other devices, why not the tablet? Take the N97 as an example. The current tablet is old tech, and this industry seems spry....

YARR!
}:^)~
Corrupt2008

dpad on face of the unit and camera lens cover for protection of the rear facing camera

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
This seems to be possible for other devices, why not the tablet? Take the N97 as an example. The current tablet is old tech, and this industry seems spry....
You missed my point (or I didn't articulate it well).

At any given time, as tech moves forward, you get three choices:
  • Do the same in less volume
  • Do more in the same volume
  • Something in between (do a little bit more in somewhat less volume)

Given those 3 choices, I would pick "Do more in the same volume". While the N97 looks like a great form factor, and like a sexy little beast ... I don't want the NIT to get that small. Instead, I'd rather see an N97 shell that is as big as an N810, and have that be the basis of the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I'm with johnkzin on this one, the N800 was a bit big, N810 is just right for me. If we could get a tad bigger screen (even with the same resolution) and less bezel, that'd be great. I don't care about 3-3.5" screens for extended internet-related use, my eyes are not that young any more.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist