Active Topics

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by canne View Post
ExtGPS couldn't detect the satellites on N9 while the Symbian version on my old 5230 gets a fix at the same time.

After Bluetooth pairing between N9 and 5230, did N9 Settings -> Device: use external GPS - found 5230 OK.
- ExtGPS on N9 still fails (Bluetooth connection established OK, 5230 has got a GPS fix)
- gpsmeefo, N9 car navigator, none of them works, either with internal or external GPS.

Only thing I get is a crappy GSM estimation on Nokia Maps, either from supl.nokia.com or supl.google.com, which I have set alternatively in /etc/xdg/nokia/location-settings.conf
- gpsmeefo shows a few satellites with internal GPS activated again, but does not get a GPS fix.

Anybody out there with the same problem, can this be a hardware problem since a few satellites are seen by gpsmeefo?

And/or is there anybody having successfully used an external GPS device over Bluetooth, what ever model? (using 5230 would not bother me if I have got a hardware problem). Thanks !
How many hours have you kept device outdoors in open area to get the initial gps fix? If its been hours and no big buildings are blocking, then you might have hardware problem, but if its been only tens of minutes or have tried indoors then not. Like if you can see few satelities in gpsmeefo, then it just means that its confused about your location and might get a fix after testing all locations in random order.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Originally Posted by smcsa View Post
I think you have an GPS hardware issue.
Fair enough, gambled purchasing from Amazon. I lost.

But is it reasonably to expect that an External GPS device would work over Bluetooth (see above) ?

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
How many hours have you kept device outdoors in open area to get the initial gps fix?.
I've kept it on terrace for a couple of hours with Drive app on. Ok, there's a building but 5230 next to N9 got the fix in 15 seconds. Then a few hours during hiking and half an hour drive phone in the windscreen cradle, no charger.

But wait, the full story: the phone is a bargain from Amazon, a New York based company selling obviously a stock of Vietnamese branded N9's (yeah, I wanted so badly to have one stupid me). It was v1.2, I changed the product code to France where I live and flashed both the system and the country contents with v1.3.

Could there be some Southern hemisphere adjustments (this is a pure guess) in GPS receiver firmware? Maybe there's an image for flashing that part...

Last edited by canne; 2012-07-31 at 07:34. Reason: yetanothertypo

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
Originally Posted by canne View Post
Could there be some Southern hemisphere adjustments (this is a pure guess) in GPS receiver firmware?
Probably not. Because people from Southern hemisphere also travel around the globe.

The Following User Says Thank You to smcsa For This Useful Post:
Probably not. Because people from Southern hemisphere also travel around the globe.

Sure, me too. I was thinking more something like a preset.
--- add --
Googled this dude from Western Australia who complain about "southern hemisphere only bug" in N9 GPS in May 12th.
http://whrl.pl/RdbkPO
But maybe he is not travelling enough.
Anyway, this thread is about External GPS so I better step out. Thanks.
-- end --

Last edited by canne; 2012-07-31 at 13:06.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
this...Ladies & Gentlemen...IS the Comment of the Day!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Anybody had any luck connecting to an ipad 3? It works with extgps for symbian and airblue gps for ios(jailbreaked of course) but I have no luck with the N9.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Philippines
hi smcsa, I was able to connect extgps to Garmin PC via serial port profile (after installing Toshiba Bluetooth stack). Problem is, Garmin reads extgps data differently. I also tried Google Earth, still having weird gps data.... any advise?

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
Sorry, no ideea.

Is it any way to check if the service from extgps really is announced on the serial port? Any terminal commands?
I see that I am not the only one with problems discovering the symarctic service. I have tried:
win7: bluesoleil drivers, windows generic drivers
Ipad 3: Airblue GPS, BTstack GPS

All of the above finds my bluetooth GPS dongle fine but not the ExtGPS service on the N9.