Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
What's with all the "it's not real Maemo" posts: could those device makers legally download and install Maemo on their phones? If not, then why not? Wasn't Maemo supposed to be open? If we had it running on a dozen of alternative devices, maybe it wouldn't have been so easy for Nokia to piss all over it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
All of these phones used maemo 4 as the OS. Maemo 4 was more clearly directly usable open source OS than maemo 5 and meego, which had some of the core components closed.

Anyhoo, fun to see those devices. Brings back memories of maemo 4 times gone by.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Just and example of how the UIs run on those things:
http://www.slashgear.com/zte-v7-maem...ds-on-0488326/

you said it right bro...
if android can get into any device(even wrist watches) and maemo cant get into a damn single android device.. then WHO IS MORE OPEN-SOURCE ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
All of these phones used maemo 4 as the OS. Maemo 4 was more clearly directly usable open source OS than maemo 5 and meego, which had some of the core components closed.

Anyhoo, fun to see those devices. Brings back memories of maemo 4 times gone by.
But we were clearly and repeatedly told that Maemo 5 was MORE open-source than Maemo 4, that MeeGo was PURE OPEN-SOURCE, and I thought we were clarified that the N9's Harmattan OS wasn't really MeeGo but rather just Maemo with MeeGo-like bits and bobs. Is there something you know that we weren't told or that we can't tell from looking around?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
But we were clearly and repeatedly told that Maemo 5 was MORE open-source than Maemo 4, that MeeGo was PURE OPEN-SOURCE
Commercial thinking..
If something is worse then expected, then lie and say that it is "better than ever before" to cover it up

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Maemo 4 was outstanding for its era. Reminds me of the Zaurus which was a different beast all together.

But by yesteryears standards its a complete flop. Only Maemo 5 was great and privileged but that had a case of NBS (Nokia Board Stuffup Syndrome). And the whole codework just needed a fresh start, it finally had all the tools it always needed:

-Linux 2.6.3
-rpm (great for concurrent download & install)
-KDE (a powerful gui, demonstrates flexibility of developing a gui based off Qt)
-Qt 4.6 (matured toolset to develop easy C++ apps that's highly cross-compatible)
-Necessary tweeks to create a power/performance efficient code system
-ARM (40nm Cortex A8 ushered enough grunt at low power consumption)
-Community (mass interest in 3rd party support and development)
-Market (era of the superphone had arrived with high-speed wireless internet and its adoption)
-Intuitive User Experience (inspired by the iPhone, unique designs followed shortly)

...we all saw these individual parts, yet no-one has brought them together

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-03-26 at 12:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Maemo 4 was outstanding for its era. Reminds me of the Zaurus which was a different beast all together.

But by yesteryears standards its a complete flop. Only Maemo 5 was great and privileged but that had a case of NBS (Nokia Board Stuffup Syndrome). And the whole codework just needed a fresh start, it finally had all the tools it always needed:

...<snip>...

...we all saw these individual parts, yet no-one has brought them together
Yeah... why is that, I wonder?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Yeah... why is that, I wonder?
and then came Flop...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Sorry guys, I was never a maemo4 user so please forgive my ignorance but I would like to ask...

How open source was maemo4?

EDIT: Scratch that, been doing some reading

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-03-28 at 20:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
closed minded, danrantos, winding down