Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
how can i verify this?
Pali's requires a special repo and then apt-get upgrading from that.

Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Is it possible to hook one of these up in such a way as to allow i to charge the battery while leaving the USB port free for host mode?
I can see how fragile it is hanging loose but I just remove the ribbon cable and plug in my host mode cable when required.

This is how i attached the receiver to the n900 - probably need to attach it with something that looks a bit better than a simple duck tape, to look more like a natural part of the back cover (any idea how?), but this is just for the sake of testing.

it works nicely, i need to be a little accurate when placing the phone on the wireless charger but it charges ok (with kp52 modules).

only issue right now is that for some reason the device gets really hot after something like an hour - above 60 degrees, and i don't know how to overcome that.

another cosmetic change is to pass the microusb wire inside the cover by doing a hole in it - this way it will not block the phone holder from around the camera from opening.
Attached Images

Last edited by impeham; 2014-07-25 at 23:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
I can imagine that it would fit nicely inside mugen-sized cover, even against dual-cell battery (coil against the battery, rest in the empty place, at the end of device that is opposite to camera). The question is - can we extend the wires that are attaching cell to module, without affecting charging - in order to allow coil being little further away from module? I would think "yes", but...

Then, I would attach charging to +5V and ground testpads under battery, using flat cooper cables (so battery can still insert without problems). IT shouldn't be required per se, but one could attach hardware switch along the way, mounted inside cover, so it's accessible from outside.

As for your question - there are those decorative tapes that imitate carbon-fiber, that wanna-be motor-head attach to their cars, with the help of hair-dryer (glue of those tapes is softened by heat). I saw that some guys cut those tapes into phone/tablet shapes, and attach them to back cover. for sure - if correctly shaped - it would look more natural than regular tape.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-07-26 at 21:01.

The thing is, i don't use the dual battery cover regularly - only when i'm off to a place with charging problems, so i want to solve it with the regular cover.

This carbon-fiber looks like a great idea - just ordered one from ebay.

extending the cable is no problem - it'll just reduce the size of the coil itself a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
I wonder if the black pad layer is what keeps my phone running cool on the inductive transfer pad.

Estel, the cheap vacuum form plastic would turn soft with a hair dryer and not endanger the cover when stretched over. I remember seeing a vacuum forming machine at a model airplane shop when I was a kid not sure how common the real deal is though vs the plastic sheet and a hair dryer.
I got a nice enough aesthetic effect on my wife's phone using vinyl electrical tape stretched to under the cover and then extra secured by first cleaning and then laying doen some Scotch brand double side sticky tape.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Since we are a hack'ey lot, there seems to be a desperate attempt by the PowerMatters group to make Powermat the commercial table and bar charging solution, and since we don't really care that the systems are supposed to be competing; why shouldn't we make our inductive charging solution cross compatible?
Powermat makes this universal plug in dongle http://www.amazon.com/Power-Mat-PMR-...dp/B004L02Z8K/ , if anyone has one I would like to see how thin the control board is.
I remember the inductive loop being cross compatible, just wire the Qi and Powermat controllers inputs and outputs in parallel, it might even work without needing backflow diodes.
I suppose this is only important if Starbucks and other places actually deploy Powermat over the more popular Qi.

Hi everyone, would not it be easier to create something similar to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDSyjl_2CXo#t=1000 ?
new terminals can be made using copper stripes attached to the motherboard under the battery. There are diffirent ultra thin receivers designed for particular phone models that should work with our n900 as well. For example http://fonesalesman.com/products/ult...th-nfc-support. This will leave micro usb open to other tasks.

Last edited by evropean; 2014-08-03 at 21:54.

Originally Posted by evropean View Post
Hi everyone, would not it be easier to create something similar to this
Easier but not better functionaly, as it would bypass our charging chip = no correct battery level and battery capacity measurements on-device. Other device have battery gauge built inside battery, so batteries are a little harder to mod and marginally more expensive. In our case chip sits inside device.

But, using the USB pads under battery + hardware switch works the same way - charging ship IS used, and USB port is free for other tasks. As long as you don't forget to use hardware switch to enable wireless charging, and disable it afterwards (or, alternatively, keep it enabled all the time for charging, and disabled fo USB port usage, reverted afterwards).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!