Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by GoBeavs View Post
I can confirm this:

Cig lighter adapter with USB port and generic micro USB cable doesn't work with my n900. Not sure if the nokia cable works in cig lighter port yet, will try tomorrow. Is there such a thing as non-powered micro usb cables vs. powered usb micro cables? If so that could be the issue as I know other devices can be picky depending on the cable. I would like a fix for this also, or at least know if we need to buy nokia cables exclusively.
I bought a generic Car Charger from Phones 4U the other weekend, no joy here either despite the LED lighting up so suspect this needs the data lines set to a controlled short as per prior post.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by jcm6084 View Post
Anyone had experiance of a Powermonkey explorer working with the N900 ?
It works - damm slow though! (Mind you, this is the UK for me!)

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
How about a spare BL-5J - works quite well for me!
Good solution except for having to reboot device. Also need to swap out the batteries to charge them which could lead to forgetting (more like falling asleep before switching out) to charge one and going back to needing to juice up. Would've been nice to know this before hand. Could have planned ahead for this.

On preview my statement sounds way harsher than meant. My bad, just a statement no inflection meant.

The proporta 3400 worked for me today.

just a fwi for everyone. the zaggspark took 1.5hrs to charge my phone from battery low status to full.

My DC-11 works OK

I've been able to get a Promaster Go charger to work, but only with an extra step.

Namely I had to reboot the device, and then plug in the charger when the phone was booting but before it was fully up. Pluging it in when the device is on results in no effect and plugging it in while the phone is off gives the few pulses of orange, nokia logo on un-backlit screen, vibrate, pause, repeat.

I'm gonna try looking into the data-pin issue once I can find a battery for my multimeter..

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Is there a Nokia branded external battery pack that works with the N900?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Seattle, WA, USA
You need an adapter that ties the D+ and D- (TX/RX) lines together on the device side (but doesn't just ground them).

From Wikipedia:
The Dedicated Charging Port shorts the D+ and D- pins with a resistance of at most 200Ω. The short disables data transfer, but allows devices to detect the Dedicated Charging Port and allows very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured.
You can make an adapter by cutting and soldering two wires from a USB extension cable:
Code:
             Red <------------------------> Red
     Male  White X cut and         solder / White  Female
Connector  Green X insulate      together \ Green  Socket
      End  Black <------------------------> Black  End
Leave the red (+5V) and black (ground) lines connected straight-through. Cut the green and white (data) lines. On the female end of the cable (the end where you will plug in your USB<->microUSB cable), tie the two lines together. On the male end (the end that plugs into your power source), leave them cut and insulate them so they don't accidentally ground or short.

The N900 senses the tied-together data lines and will begin charging without expecting an actual smart USB host on the other end to negotiate voltages and other bus details. This should also work for other devices that don't like "dumb" power-only charging sources, like iPods and iPhones.

Disclaimer: While this adapter works for me and has not caused any damage to my N900, I do not take any responsibility for any of your equipment.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xiojason For This Useful Post:
This might be helpful - choose custom and specify what you need along with the connector type - for those people not to keen on cutting and making their own

http://www.usbfirewire.com/custom/Cu...sign_Tool.html

Or

http://newnex.com/products/customdes...stomdesign.php
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Last edited by Bratag; 2009-12-17 at 20:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: