Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Besides, everyone reading these messages has spent most of a lifetime watching tv filled with commercials -- what's the matter, you haven't had enough practice filtering out messages you don't want to receive?
and yet there is Adblock Plus.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Maemo 2011... it's just like Maemo 2008, now! heh... welcome to the Maemo dead-end party, N900'ers! The rest of us have been waiting for you.
Well in any case it shall be fun party cake + drinks whats the worst that can happen... lol

The Following User Says Thank You to mohi2k7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mohi2k7 View Post
Well in any case it shall be fun party cake + drinks whats the worst that can happen... lol
That: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNrLly1vvM
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Council is insignificant entity compared to the Linux Foundation
It's also completely irrelevant. The council's purpose is to "represent the Maemo community's best interests to Nokia, and to act as a community conduit for Nokia-generated information", none of which applies to this situation which is between the MeeGo community and the Linux Foundation.

Noting also that this thread was started by a current council member, anyone who complains about "the deafening silence of the Council" is obviously trolling and should be ignored if we want to have a constructive discussion.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
[...]
Noting also that this thread was started by a current council member, anyone who complains about "the deafening silence of the Council" is obviously trolling and should be ignored if we want to have a constructive discussion.
had forgotten that last time...
you just joined bbq, nooo, se, micpc and fahadj2k3 on my ignore list ¦-)

SD69, as i said in my 1st post on this thread, i read the whole thread (7 pages when i started, 8 by the time i got to the end...) trying to get an overview of what had be said & asked. noticed you posted a couple answers to clarify things.
thank you for posting those informations in the 1st place, of course!

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
[...]
Most of council largely stayed out of the debate. But, in my opinion, the maemo p.o.v. and the worth of maemo and the need for uncompromising openness was rather ably argued by woody14619
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=104
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=148
i take it that you didn't start this thread on behalf of the council?
are you entitled to make any statement on behalf of the council?
if not, how does the council communicate with the community?

[...] The proposed alternative site (apps.formeego.com) seems to be a corporate-sponsored site from our own long lost friend, Nokia.
if what a troll previously posted here is true ("the council is the voice of the community to NOKIA
" (my wording)) i'm literally flabbergasted
when was the last time the council had any contact with NOKIA?!?

A maemo.org run by the community would never make such a decision. To maemo and other mobile linux developers, to those of you who support open source, those of you who have said maemo is dead, and those of you who have accepted "free" N950s - think carefully, think twice, and please continue to support maemo.org
again, is this the council's position or just your personal wish?

to also try to nail once & for all one of the reason ppl have been branded trolls over & over again, a final question...
did any member of the council ever ask NOKIA for the source code of closed components?

information is a necessary though no sufficient condition to rationality...
sincerely,
mr.c.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The council's purpose is to "represent the Maemo community's best interests to Nokia, and to act as a community conduit for Nokia-generated information", none of which applies to this situation which is between the MeeGo community and the Linux Foundation.

Since Nokia has disengaged from Maemo, this purpose should be revisited. If maemo.org were to become a community governed non-profit "Maemo Foundation" type group, then I guess the next elected Council can take a role in making that change.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i take it that you didn't start this thread on behalf of the council?
Correct

are you entitled to make any statement on behalf of the council?
Yes, the postings on the Council's official blog:
http://maemo.org/community/council/

if not, how does the council communicate with the community?
at least in part, through the Blog and the "ask the council" thread. Do not expect that Council reads each thread in the forum.

when was the last time the council had any contact with NOKIA?!?
Tuesday

again, is this the council's position or just your personal wish?
My personal wish

to also try to nail once & for all one of the reason ppl have been branded trolls over & over again, a final question...
did any member of the council ever ask NOKIA for the source code of closed components?
Yes, several times...

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
thank you for your prompt answer(s)

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
[...]
at least in part, through the Blog and the "ask the council" thread. Do not expect that Council reads each thread in the forum.
i don't but i feel others like me at least wish there would be more involvement of the council in some discussion.
Council_Update-July_2011 was indeed the thread where i started to understand things better about the Maemo community.
mostly thanks to a fairly long discussion w/ Abill, Gerbick and Dan.
for once it was more like the dance around the monolith, rather then the one around the water (with the bones...)
are we on the moon yet?

where is this "ask council thread"?

Tuesday

[...]

Yes, several times...
and ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
http://tinyurl.com/3oolmad
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down