I'm in a bit of a predicament and i have been advised that flashing/hard resetting the device might remedy my problem.

As the tittle says, is it possible to flash/hard reset the device without using the USB cable? I guess the only option would be xterm.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What did the people who said the hardware is fine say when you said yeah, if it's fine how come I can't use my usb cable?

They said they are going to double check the hardware, they they double checked it and said the same thing again :/

p.s. As described in my other thread, the N900 actually "knows" that a USB cable is plugged in because the led glows yellow when the battery is totally depleted and when there is some juice left in the battery, it vibrates as when starting up, blink orange few times, then Nokia logo and dots show up and it reboots just to start to whole process from the start and it loops it until the battery is totally drained - this only happens when the phone is turned off.

If i turn on the phone using a charged battery, maemo boots normally, everything works except it drains the battery really fast, it heats up a bit and it does not detect the wall charger or the PC USB cable.

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-06-19 at 19:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
No, you need to flash through USB. Just try following the guide from the wiki with a fully charged battery, if there is no hardware issues you should be able to get it to work.

It does not work. I have flashed my N900 countless times so i am pretty familiar with the procedure.

This time, when i hold the "U" key and i plug in the microUSB, the phone vibrates, Nokia logo shows up, but the USB sign does not, Then the dots and it reboots.

So, there is no other option to flash the device without using the USB cable? How would they flash it then?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
How about using BackupMenu?
1. Install BackupMenu.
2. 'Acquire' freshly flashed rootfs+optfs BackupMenu backup.
3. Restore onto device.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Hey, that is actually an awesome idea, thanks!

Now, where do i get a freshly flashed root+opt backupmenu image.
Sorry for bothering you further, never used backup menu.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Meppen, Germany
Have you tried doing the USB Flash Procedure without installed battery? Maybe that helps it does on my PSP (I know, completely different, but - who knows ;D)

The Following User Says Thank You to mautz001 For This Useful Post:
I will give that a shot as well