Active Topics

Have set up a rocketmail account thru Nokia messaging.
Only when o2 mobile web or the wifi is connected messages are sent and recd. If both are disconnected the message to be sent stays in the outbox with a status of waiting and messages arent recd either.
I have a data plan with my network.
Do I have to stay connected to either mobile web or my wifi for Nokia messaging to work? If so how is this "push email"?? Any gmail or yahoo account etc would send/receive emails when connected to either of the two.

for push email you must stay connected to o2 mobile web or wifi. you stay connected but its on idle mode so no data is going to waste, when you get a email, nokia server tells nokia app to download onto phone and notify you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
for push email you must stay connected to o2 mobile web or wifi. you stay connected but its on idle mode so no data is going to waste, when you get a email, nokia server tells nokia app to download onto phone and notify you.
Ronaldo,

If i were to use a gmail account not set up via nokia messaging what would be the scenario? Would I still need to be connected to o2 mobile web or wifi?

thats how "push email" works but if you want to setup with another app or web based then you wont get notification unless you are connected .

if you want notification then just like a PC you need to be connected to the net. other wise you can download your emails and sync when you do get connected. this can be done using nokia messaging or any other app.

If you *don't* use nokia messaging, but rather use IMAP, then you need to *poll* every X minutes to see if you have new email. You'll still need to have a data connection up.

The whole point of having wireless data is to have it connected always.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
If you *don't* use nokia messaging, but rather use IMAP, then you need to *poll* every X minutes to see if you have new email.
Yes, but does Nokia Messaging itself use IMAP-IDLE? If it has to poll your private IMAP account anyway, it's not necessarily improving your delivery time... right?

Originally Posted by dba View Post
Yes, but does Nokia Messaging itself use IMAP-IDLE? If it has to poll your private IMAP account anyway, it's not necessarily improving your delivery time... right?
Yes, its either using IDLE on nokia's side, or polling at very high frequency on nokia's side. On the phone itself it pushes as soon as new mail is detected, but the *phone* does not poll at all.

You get both faster response time to new messages and lower battery drain.

When my phone is sitting on my desk, it will buzz with new mail instantly, while evolution logged into the same imap account and set for a 5 minute poll obviously does nothing until the next 5 minute check. On the flip side, if no mail comes in for an hour (as if) then Evolution will have polled 12 times for no data, while the n900 will have done nothing at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post: