My LCD cracked, so I tried to replace it myself.

The device will boot normally, as I have tried attaching another screen from another N900. By "screen" I mean slider+LCD+digitizer.

However the replacement LCD doesn't turn on. I know the original digitizer and slider still work because I can use the device if I touch the right places, just the LCD remains blank (i.e. black, doesn't light up at all)

Any ideas?? I even got hold of a second replacement LCD and it doesn't light up either.

Here is a photo of how I am connecting it up.. am I doing something wrong?
Attached Images

I replaced my lcd ribbon cable successfully using this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQ81cahD1c

Maybe it can help?

Sorry I can't give ya more to go on.

Actually now that I reread what you wrote I wonder if you've damaged your ribbon cable? When I did that to mine I could still power it up and the keyboard lit up when it was slid open but the screen never lit up and pressing it seemed to do nothing (my cable was totally cut). Also I could charge my unit and turn it on but the led indicator on the screen never lit up.

Last edited by AaronAaron; 2011-11-26 at 01:59.

Doesn't take much to break the tracks on those ribbons, and it looks like you've got a bad crease in the one just above the black connector.
Although I can't imagine you breaking 2 replacements in the same way.

The screen backlight is switched by a magnet as well, I think. Try waving a magnet over the screen when it's all assembled, see if it lights up.

Uh, are you sure you have those ribbons in the right way around?

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ india
[QUOTE=zero;1128903]My LCD cracked,
If LCD cracked what will it looked.because my phone have one black line in middle screen, it is crack or not?(see my thread WHAT IS THIS) Please reply.

Originally Posted by ammuvi View Post
If LCD cracked what will it looked.because my phone have one black line in middle screen, it is crack or not?(see my thread WHAT IS THIS) Please reply.
Looks like the one in the youtube video posted by AaronAaron

yeah I followed that video and the Nokia service manual

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Uh, are you sure you have those ribbons in the right way around?
I think so, but I dunno, that's why I posted here. Do you think it's wrong?

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
a bad crease in the one just above the black connector.
You mean on the ribbon from the LCD to where it connects to the other parts? maybe.. but it has to travel through the post even though packaged well.

Last edited by zero; 2011-11-26 at 13:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to zero For This Useful Post:
Maybe You should try assembling it after connection (not with every single screw, just to make it fit into case), as there may be some truth about magnet enabling screen. Dunno, just suggestin'

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Maybe You should try assembling it after connection (not with every single screw, just to make it fit into case), as there may be some truth about magnet enabling screen. Dunno, just suggestin'

/Estel
yeah maybe, i assembled it fully the first time.. will try it again later. Does anyone know where the screen magnets are exactly?

OK, I got a new slider and it's now working

I didn't need to assemble it fully, or even peel off the protective plastic. It stil lturns on even when I hold the slider, LCD and digitizer in a T shape, so the magnets stuff isn't true at least for my N900.

Anyway, my experience with this shows that the LCD and digitizer are connected independently to the slider, and one can work without the other. Also, when someone pushes you onto a wall which cracks your LCD, it might also damage the slider!

Thanks everyone who replied to the thread.

Last point - I now have a spare LCD, anyone want to buy it off me? (I'm based in London and Hong Kong)

How much?

Ten chars
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!