Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
My apologies for getting back to the topic

The two Xperia X currently for sale here made me look into it again. I never liked the X because it seemed so HUGE but I suppose I could live with it, especially at eBay prices which are MUCH cheaper than those asked here on TMO.

But I have not been following the development very closely and find browsing through 254 pages of posts, mostly off-topic or contradicting each other, rather confusing.

So...

Could anyone be so kind as to summarize, BRIEFLY, in a few bullet points, any pros and cons of going X? What works? What does not? Is it worth it at all?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Buy brand new XA2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Used 5 different banks without any apps here in the UK
Well, Japan is weird but UK is not far behind

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Could anyone be so kind as to summarize, BRIEFLY, in a few bullet points, any pros and cons of going X? What works? What does not? Is it worth it at all?
I have used mine as a daily driver for since it came out.
+ is faster than sbj1
+ is brighter than sbj1
+ has microsd card which is better than my nexus5
+ has pretty good battery life, comparable to my sbj1 when it was new
+ fingerprint sensor works if somebody likes to use that (ugh...)
+ gps lock and accuracy is amzing
+ all normal things you'd expect work on it
- compass does not work
- nfc does not work
- comes without HWKBD
- kernel is built without modules support so you need to use the community kernel
- latest update to Mouhijoki broke dpurgin's CallRecorder

Last edited by juiceme; 2018-06-15 at 14:00. Reason: fixed typo

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
worth it, yes: (all IMO)

Cons to Jolla 1
- size, JP-1 is hands down the best device size for sfos, X does not hurt but for some actions i have to "regrip".
- Bluetooth is wonky, some things work some don't. Headsets are no problem for me, Music playback stutters on some speakers.
- wakeup problems, sometimes no touch is recognized and i need to lock and unlock again (maybe only due to unofficial doubletab activation?)...
- Double tap wake up. I went over to always do a triple tap on x because double tap is only ~2/3 of the tries recognized.
- some weird dalvik apps crashing issues (for me)
- onsolved lipstick freeze problem (Red light, freeze) under not reproduce-able conditions.
- The bootscreen is as ugly as i can imagine. 5 wasted seconds of unlock warning followed by 20 secs of GUSHING white with tiny sony logo until sfos pops up. I don't know how often i tantalized my eyes when rebooting at night. Especially nice when the "red light freeze" occours during a night drive.. ZZZZZZZ. How i miss the black bootscreen...

Pros
- significantly faster
- little better multitasking (i expected more from doubled RAM)
- gorgeous screen compared to jp1
- higher res + more brightness make the thin fonts better readable.
- higher brightness range with slider
- Camera better than jp1 but meh in comparison to most other phones out there.
- nicer build quality
- the rounded edges help to fit in pockets and feel better than jp1
- Fingerprint reader takes some time to get used to the (First click than Tab) method but works reliably now that i "am not holding it wrong" anymore Faster than pin for me.
- curved glass feels good for edgeswipes
- louder and nicer sounding speakers.
- wider choice in (quality) accessories
- dalvik with 4.4 compatibility (i've put it last for you)

There may be other tech problems i already got used to or never ran into with my usecase.

EDIT, according to Juicemes post time, it took me longer than 20 minutes to write this post

Last edited by mosen; 2018-06-15 at 14:20. Reason: juice was faster

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Well, Japan is weird but UK is not far behind
Knowing japanese a bit, i can tell you that we are the weird ones. (mostly).
Many things i learn form japan make me go, oh, yes that makes so much more sense (if properly explained in context).
Like going on strike but still doing the work so the customers do not suffer, but stop billing them for the service to only hurt your employer

Last edited by mosen; 2018-06-15 at 14:33. Reason: typo

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, juiceme and mosen. I honestly cannot think of any use for NFC and I can't remember I have ever used the compass other than for playing, when everything was new and exciting, but it feels wrong that I should receive a diminished functionality for extra 50€. OTOH, a screen and receiver (phone speaker) I can actually use outside would be nice. A camera... I suppose anything would be better that sjb1, even a camera obscura.

I just don't know if I can manage without TOHOLED. I have grown to very much depend on it. And I never really had any issues with sjb1 being slow or (with the exception of one fatal update when they really screwed it up) running out of RAM. So I do not really need an upgrade, I'm just speculating.

Oh, decisions, decisions...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 175 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Mar 2014 @ .LT
Grab one, it just like i did. JP1 was hardly alive, bought x, spent a couple of weeks with android, couldnt stand it anymore and got sailfish x. No alternatives anyway. For now.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wrm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
So keeping the offtopic:

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Continuing on the off-topic... and trying to be positive about France
I actually use a mobile bank website with no issue.
@wolda Cheques are disappearing rapidly so there are accepted less and less, and banks are doing their best to accelerate even further their disappearance. So do not expect to receive good service for them ;-)
Reimbursing in France often happens through bank transfer or via payment card or any web-based system (paypal...)...
So firstly, I guess I should have mentioned this dates back to 2014. I was living in France only briefly (3 months in 2012 and 3 months in 2014), so no French bank would open me an account (also, je ne parle pas francais :-\ ). Reimbursments were typically done just with IBAN bank transfers, only that campus-france scholarship was paid using those post-office cheques.

Train tickets in France and the SNCF is a big subject that would need tons of text but let's say that not all French are proud of the way they work ;-)
To make sure, I was commenting about the campus-france reimbursment, no need to blame SNCF for this one. I personally think that trains (especially TGV) is one of the best French things ever, indeed only at the times when people are not striking

Plus some comments
(...)
- if you use apps, you tend to help them justify that everybody use apps so why develop the web version. While I could, I tend to avoid as much as possible using apps, especially for services like banking.
I wish I can share your optimism that our <0.01% makes any difference in recognizing that apps for every web kind of **** is wrong. I mean, I fully agree with you, but I'd call it naive to think anybody notices us.

- some justification I read on using apps like not entering password & username... Username & password are stored for me so this is a one-button-click to access to my bank account (there are other securities for sensitive actions). Are people that lazy to be so tired about clicking on a button? Adding a beneficiary is also possible with my bank through the mobile version (how often do you do that anyway...).
That's definitely one of the "features" I'm screaming about while sleeping!

- I also have a sort of web bank account (revolut) and I need an app (this is a regret). I do not see the gain, really.
I do use revolut as well, and if @Pichlo reads this and hopes for some on-topic - hey, you can't get revolut app on J1 (the version of AD is too old), but it does work in Sailfish X. Back to off-topic, they actually do have a web-interface for their business customers. From time to time, I check with them whether (at least) the paid version of the personal account would allow using the web interface but so far the answer is NOPE (and nothing is officially scheduled in this manner). BTW, have you noticed that revolut actually does not allow you to access the same account from two different installations of the app? Only the last one works, the others don't sync the transactions (i.e., it synchronizes the transaction when you first log-in, but then it assumes the local copy of the log is always the correct one) - welcome back to the 20th century. I did talk to them about this, it's a "feature", you shouldn't access your revolut account from two different "devices".

I see very limited justification for using an app (except those sort of bankid system that seem to exist elsewhere).
Developers are lazy and firms are lazy (I know it is not only laziness). Why do you think they would develop mobile version if nobody are using them. Do you want to be dependent on the fact that they develop a native version for all systems that you use? Because the next stop is that you must use an app and that the desktop version is also abandoned.
I see the same trend for other services like transport information services where the mobile version are less and less developed because people are using apps. When there are open API, that is ok but then that is not so always the case...
Well, we can write here screens of text about this, but, let be honest here: the "app way" is still growing, and there is no real-life reason why it should stop. A majority of the users are happy about this, and since there are basically just two OSes you need to develop your thing for, and most of the work is done via HTML anyways, I can imagine that many software companies are quite happy too. I doubt a group of some kind of weird opensource-obcessed academic-ish nerds has chance to convince the majority what's wrong with that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks, juiceme and mosen. I honestly cannot think of any use for NFC and I can't remember I have ever used the compass other than for playing, when everything was new and exciting, but it feels wrong that I should receive a diminished functionality for extra 50€. OTOH, a screen and receiver (phone speaker) I can actually use outside would be nice. A camera... I suppose anything would be better that sjb1, even a camera obscura.

I just don't know if I can manage without TOHOLED. I have grown to very much depend on it. And I never really had any issues with sjb1 being slow or (with the exception of one fatal update when they really screwed it up) running out of RAM. So I do not really need an upgrade, I'm just speculating.

Oh, decisions, decisions...
I made my decision
NOT going for the X even it was tempting.

But I was already using the C.
So only positive (and that I would really like) would have been the camera.
Con was the single SIM (and low memory). F5122 was way too pricey, at least the one's from 'trustworthy' dealers.

The XA2 is not a device reaching for high-end but it is smaller. So maybe this is for you:

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x