Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I know some people who are using plain Debian GNU/Linux with freesmartphone.org middleware as their main phone OS on Openmoko Neo Freerunner.
Sorry, I realize this might sound stupid, but I want to be sure:
These people you're talking about use their Freerunners running Debian and make phone calls at the same time?

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Sorry, I realize this might sound stupid, but I want to be sure:
These people you're talking about use their Freerunners running Debian and make phone calls at the same time?
Yes, exactly that. Some of them even use Emacs as their phone UI :P

FSO and some SHR apps are available in default Debian repos AFAIK, though maybe in some old versions.

PS. I'll try to make sure by myself that proper versions of FSO packages will go to Debian repos in order to support Neo900 out of the box Maybe not from day one though, as Debian packaging process is far from being instant

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Yes, exactly that.
Ok, vote placed, donation will be on its way some time next week.

Some of them even use Emacs as their phone UI :P
I'm a vi heretic.

FSO and some SHR apps are available in default Debian repos AFAIK, though maybe in some old versions.
Yes, I've seen them. I just have no experience with them.

PS. I'll try to make sure by myself that proper versions of FSO packages will go to Debian repos in order to support Neo900 out of the box Maybe not from day one though, as Debian packaging process is far from being instant
Thanks a lot!
I'm not in a hurry and although I prefer stable I can handle unstable. So as long as they show up in stable some day (ideally the day Jessie is released ) I'm fine with that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Questions:
One: are you going to release any breakout board for the neo900? So we can work a little more externally.

Two: Can I donate twice and use both order codes as the rebate into one device? I.e donate 100EUR twice and 200e discount on one unit? Want to donate again...had more questions but forgot.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Questions:
One: are you going to release any breakout board for the neo900? So we can work a little more externally.
What exactly do you mean by "work externally"?
Two: Can I donate twice and use both order codes as the rebate into one device? I.e donate 100EUR twice and 200e discount on one unit? Want to donate again...had more questions but forgot.
Yes, but please clearly state your intention in second 'order' and include the reference number of first order. So we can keep track of the number of devices that actually got 'preordered' - you know we need 200 confirmed interested customers to start mass production.

/j

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Pedantic English note: On your neo900.org website you have:-"Our journey has just began...."

In proper English it should be Our journey has just begun....
From an Englishman

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by macey View Post
Pedantic English note: On your neo900.org website you have:-"Our journey has just began...."

In proper English it should be Our journey has just begun....
From an Englishman
Wasn't it already fixed few hours ago?
*checks*
Yes, it was. Try to refresh But thanks nevertheless!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
You mentioned you will have connection point under the battery - like the other half Jolla... Are you going to make a breakout board or something; maybe a ribbon cable from the connection points to a proto-board or something. Also, if you don't get the 200 donations; will the donated money be refunded? :s
As for donating twice - I would like two boards Open and LTE N900! Hell yes!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Having trouble editing on my phone... If less than 200 donate will the project just be 'scraped'? That's more what I was asking above.
Or is there a contingency plan if <200 donate? I want to see this succeeded!

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Having trouble editing on my phone... If less than 200 donate will the project just be 'scraped'? That's more what I was asking above.
Or is there a contingency plan if <200 donate? I want to see this succeeded!
We just need to be sure that we'll be able to sell at least 200 devices. 200 donors wanting to use their rebates might be a good indicator that it will be the case

Tags
neo900, thank you!