Closed Thread
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've started a wiki page for the hardware adaptation:

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N8x0

Now, I've set up a fairly nice M0 milestone. Now, would you users help set up M1, M2, M3? Come up with ideas on what should realistically work in those milestones. Please focus on hardware support and possibly interfacing/interfaces.

Provide in form of a user story, ideally.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2010-05-14 at 19:58.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Added myself as this interests me obviously. I hope to contribute as the stack matures a bit more.

I'd say a useful M1 would be to get all other sensors (wifi, GPS) working: Boots, can connect to the outside world and find where it is in the world.

Interface isn't quite as crucial as something like xfce can be used as an interim until whatever interface meego handset will end up with can be evaluated, so that might be an M2, or M3?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil - Piracicaba/SP
impressive the n8x0 adaptation project!

Looking through the meego wiki howhever, i couldīnt found any link to your page or any cittation of any kind even on ARMīs page.
Maybe the admin folks at this wiki or anyone ho have the rights to change the pages would do this little thing to make the project more visible.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by w00t View Post

I'd say a useful M1 would be to get all other sensors (wifi, GPS) working: Boots, can connect to the outside world and find where it is in the world.
+1 for WiFi. Also, mic, sound, all hw buttons, and D-pad.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of comments are being solicited, but I'll say a few things about project goals. Let's concentrate on getting everything working before trying to make the N8x0 compare more favorably to other handhelds or to do "interesting" things. Let's not try to fix 3D acceleration, etc. Quite frankly, if the hw performance is not acceptable, we can just buy a new handheld. What I want is for the N8x0 to remain useful in the future on a day-to-day basis for what it does well and not try to change it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
+1 for WiFi. Also, mic, sound, all hw buttons, and D-pad.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of comments are being solicited, but I'll say a few things about project goals. Let's concentrate on getting everything working before trying to make the N8x0 compare more favorably to other handhelds or to do "interesting" things. Let's not try to fix 3D acceleration, etc. Quite frankly, if the hw performance is not acceptable, we can just buy a new handheld. What I want is for the N8x0 to remain useful in the future on a day-to-day basis for what it does well and not try to change it.
Priorities are getting towards a level where we eventually can support a Handset UX (or MID) profile. In this, hardware support towards all the basic things comes first - ie, we need the MeeGo core function well on top of N8x0. When that is done, then drop a basic UX on top, like Xfce4. Add more interfacing with hardware / test / have that working, etc. Then put Handset or a MID UX on top, and then optimize - optionally with Qt's QGraphicsView with 3d acceleration/OpenGL. How does that sound for direction? From the moment we have a basic UX, we should be able to run Qt apps for MeeGo.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
How does that sound for direction? From the moment we have a basic UX, we should be able to run Qt apps for MeeGo.
OK, except don't let "QGraphicsView with 3d acceleration/OpenGL" part slow us down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
OK, except don't let "QGraphicsView with 3d acceleration/OpenGL" part slow us down.
Not going to fall for that again, agreed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Bulgaria
What about backporting the MeeGo packages to Diablo? Wouldn't this be both easier and more useful? I mean this approach will give you full hardware support and combined Diablo+MeeGo compatibility.

How difficult would it be to compile the MeeGo libraries on Diablo?

Originally Posted by Fontus View Post
What about backporting the MeeGo packages to Diablo? Wouldn't this be both easier and more useful? I mean this approach will give you full hardware support and combined Diablo+MeeGo compatibility.

How difficult would it be to compile the MeeGo libraries on Diablo?
MeeGo is RPM based and well, Diablo isn't.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I suppose you mean Qt - the issue is that you can compile the ’base’ Qt, but we don’t have the necessary patches to utilize hardware acceleration and system integration. In other words, it would sort-of work, but it would be slow and feel very much out of place (it would be worse than Qt4.5 on Diablo as is, would feel more like you’re in Easy Debian or sorts).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego