Hi,

some days ago I got the N770 second hand. I´m really happy with it but I have one big problem: WLAN does not find any net - even if I stand directly beside my access point. My notebook finds at the same location about 8 nets.
I tried OS2006, OS2007HE and OS2008HE without solving the problem. Connections via Bluetooth and my mobile are working like a charm.
Any suggestions how to get to the ground of the problem?

Best Regards,
ReverZ

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello ReverZ,

welcome on the forum.
Can you access terminal and show us, if ifconfig command lists wlan0?
Also, have you tried to manually enter information to connect to the network (SSID, encryption etc.)?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Hi hopbeat,

thank you for you help. AFAIK there was only in the 2008HE version a terminal installed by default. When I had this OS version on the device I tried "ifconfig" on it but I think I have to become root on it.
Could you tell me the way how to get a terminal on OS2007HE and how to become root?

Best Regards,
ReverZ

OK,

in order to get able to run xterm I installed OS2008HE on the N770 again and found out, that there are no root permission needed for ifconfig. You just have to use the full path

This is what ifconfig told about the wlan interface:

wlan0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:14:A7:FE:73 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

So it seems that the interface is up but there is no transmission at all over it.

Also, have you tried to manually enter information to connect to the network (SSID, encryption etc.)?
Yes, I also tried this but without success.

CU,
ReverZ

Sorry, I've missed your previous post

I'm afraid that it may be a hardware issue. No idea what to check in software.... :/

Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Bored? Follow me

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
A wireless-N router may be causing your problem as they're known to cause connection issues with the 770.

See this thread for example and I'm sure there are others on here if you search.

Perhaps test your 770 on other wireless networks that you can access.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fionn For This Useful Post:
Hm, this could be possible.
I had the chance to check the WLAN function in a completly different environment and yes - I found 4 wireless networks and it was able to connect to one of them.
So I suppose the device does not have a hardware issue.
Indeed my own access point is a Fritz!box 7270 in draft n mode without any problems with my other wireless devices like Notebooks.
However it sounds very strange that one problematic device prevents the N770 to see all the other networks that are in range.
Now I hope I issue can be solved a I don´t plan to give up my Fritz!box only for the N770.

Thank you,
ReverZ

Yeeeessss, 802.11n....
Good to hear that it's not a hardware problem. Have you tried turning off your router? Or switching it to B/G only mode?

Użyteczne linki:

Bored? Follow me

Yes, I tried to disable the n mode and it made me a little bit more hopeful. Now the network scan lists all the nets in range. When I try to connect to my Fritz!box I mostly get an error message that there is a connection problem. After that message the wlan function is blocked unless I switch to offline mode and back to online mode.
I then played a little bit with the signal strength of the Fritz!box and I managed to get a internet connection for one time.
So even with disabled n mode the thing is still quite instable. I suppose there are too many other n draft router in the range. I´m not really happy with that state but I´m glad to know the reason for the problem.
BTW: The problem also exists with the OS2008HE so I´m a little bit disappointed that it has not been fixed yet.

Thank you,
ReverZ

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
Good to hear that it's not a hardware problem.
The relevant Bugzilla team determined that it probably was a hardware problem. See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082 . But see also the EDIT below.

However, there is a solution that sounds ridiculous but works for most people. See https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082#c17
and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082#c19

Or switching it to B/G only mode?
The trouble is, it's usually someone else's AP causing the problem, and there's no way to switch that to b/g.

If ReverZ had read the thread linked by Fionn, he would have found out about this. It's a pity that the thread does not come up in searches, maybe because of the quotation marks in its title.

To save having to read the whole thread, ReverZ can go to a post where I took Andre Klapper's findings and turned them into step-by-step instructions:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=34 .

EDIT: As pointed out by pablob in the next post of this thread, there have been more posts in the Bugzilla thread since I last looked. Posts 31-39 describe a software workaround, so it turns out not to be a hardware problem after all. This solution doesn't seem to have made its way into the Maemo Talk forum before now.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-11-19 at 22:27. Reason: Correction about Hardware vs. software problem