Notices

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Ade, thanks a lot for making the GUI. After trying it out I will echo the sentiment expressed above that fceu beats iNES hands down where it counts. I have three questions for you:

1. Is it possible to switch savestate slots, on the fly or otherwise? Or are we limited to one?
2. Is there a way to disable cheats for a game other than to go into the /cheats folder and renaming the cheat files so as not to have the same name as the game rom? If not, this would be a feature request for the GUI from my side.
3. You said there might be an option of alternative controllers, but that you haven't implemented it. Does this mean it's not possible to use SIXAXIS controllers with fceu? Also, with the hardcoded buttons, I'm assuming you at least could never assign those to the controller anyway (like save/load)?

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
Ade, thanks a lot for making the GUI. After trying it out I will echo the sentiment expressed above that fceu beats iNES hands down where it counts.
Glad you like it

I have three questions for you:

1. Is it possible to switch savestate slots, on the fly or otherwise? Or are we limited to one?
I really have no idea. It creates separate files per game afaik, so that would suggest one savestate. But we could investigate further.
edit: looks like it only supports one saveslot

2. Is there a way to disable cheats for a game other than to go into the /cheats folder and renaming the cheat files so as not to have the same name as the game rom? If not, this would be a feature request for the GUI from my side.
I will try to come up with someting smart, who knows
edit: the new version will have the option to switch on/off fceu cheating. It simply renames the cheat folder for the time the cheat option is switch off

3. You said there might be an option of alternative controllers, but that you haven't implemented it. Does this mean it's not possible to use SIXAXIS controllers with fceu? Also, with the hardcoded buttons, I'm assuming you at least could never assign those to the controller anyway (like save/load)?
I was refrerring more to arkanoid controlllers etc, meaning alternative emulated controllers for the NES itself.
As long as you map Sixaxis controls to keys, it should work like in any other emulator.
I suspect that reserved keys cannot be overwritten, but I have not tested that.

Last edited by ade; 2012-04-03 at 19:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ade View Post
I really have no idea. It creates separate files per game afaik, so that would suggest one savestate. But we could investigate further.
edit: looks like it only supports one saveslot
Yeah, I haven't been able to deduce anything else myself. I found the save files but figured fceu could easily number them according to slots. Also, the fceu slot is numbered, which led me to believe that like in miscellaneous other emulators slots could be swapped - on the fly or otherwise. No big deal though; one slot is alright.

I will try to come up with someting smart, who knows
edit: the new version will have the option to switch on/off fceu cheating. It simply renames the cheat folder for the time the cheat option is switch off
Ah, great! Easier and faster than doing it manually. Thanks for implementing my suggestion.

I was refrerring more to arkanoid controlllers etc, meaning alternative emulated controllers for the NES itself.
As long as you map Sixaxis controls to keys, it should work like in any other emulator.
I suspect that reserved keys cannot be overwritten, but I have not tested that.
Ok, hopefully I will find time before too long to hook up a sixaxis and play around a bit myself.

nice work ade this works really well much better than the other version.

has anyone else had a slight issue when playing any rom it will freeze then catch up after a second or so?

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
nice work ade this works really well much better than the other version.
That's a remark I find here more than once. Good to know I made the right choice to give Fce Ultra a frontend.

has anyone else had a slight issue when playing any rom it will freeze then catch up after a second or so?
Just played Castlevania 3 for a while and tried to pay attention to it. I did not notice it (or the freeze was shorter with my 805 MHz clockspeed ).

Just played Castlevania 3 for a while and tried to pay attention to it. I did not notice it (or the freeze was shorter with my 805 MHz clockspeed ).
I will try again with a freshly booted phone it may just be that my phone has got sluggish over a few days use.

Good work again ade keep it up.

edit

the atari lynx emulator could do with a front end as well.......hint hint

Last edited by Bazza; 2012-04-10 at 23:25.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post

the atari lynx emulator could do with a front end as well.......hint hint
You are referring to mednafen? I could not find it in the repos, so I compiled it myself. It supports a lot of handhelds on the good side, but its weak point is its sound. Setting it to SDL gives a result that is a little bit acceptable, at the cost of much cpu. The result for the Lynx emulation is the less worse of all.

In the mean time started compiling the Lynx emulator Handy/SDL. It's sound is a lot better. I also started working on it's controls. It may be an emulator worth of the N900 in the future

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Yes mednafen,

i still have an atari lynx in my garage but the power socket broke many years ago and there is no way i'm throwing 8 batteries in it to re-live my child hood memories, so this emulator would be a welcome addition to the n900

I look forward to testing your efforts.

hey guys^^
@ade, cool emulator gui ;D
you could implement last-state function.
here is the method i'm thinking of, the gui could handle (mario is an examplename):
if the emulator exits, the gui renames the savesstate of the loaded game to sth like "ssmario.ss0" (or whatever) and it saves the laststate as "mario.ss0".
When the game is reload, optionally you get asked if you want to load laststate.
If yes, it loads "mario.ss0", deletes it and renames "ssmario.ss0" to "mario.ss0" (so the normal savestate can be loaded).
If no, it deletes the laststate and just renames "ssmario.ss0" to "mario.ss0".
That should be a method, which should be 100% operatable off the gui (but i'm not a developer, so i am not that sure).
This renaming method could also solve the "there is only one savesslot" problem
I hope my thoughts will help you with developement of a new feature

best regards,
danzo^^

Originally Posted by danzo View Post
hey guys^^
@ade, cool emulator gui ;D
you could implement last-state function.
here is the method i'm thinking of, the gui could handle (mario is an examplename):
if the emulator exits, the gui renames the savesstate of the loaded game to sth like "ssmario.ss0" (or whatever) and it saves the laststate as "mario.ss0".
When the game is reload, optionally you get asked if you want to load laststate.
If yes, it loads "mario.ss0", deletes it and renames "ssmario.ss0" to "mario.ss0" (so the normal savestate can be loaded).
If no, it deletes the laststate and just renames "ssmario.ss0" to "mario.ss0".
That should be a method, which should be 100% operatable off the gui (but i'm not a developer, so i am not that sure).
This renaming method could also solve the "there is only one savesslot" problem
I hope my thoughts will help you with developement of a new feature

best regards,
danzo^^
Don't know if I can follow your reasoning for 100%, but I would indeed be something with backing up / renaming savestates.

At the moment I don't want to focus on this, because it is something that will not be used a lot. But thanks for the tip anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post: