Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Then there will be the obvious difference in packaging (deb still for Harmattan, rpm for MeeGo) but this won't be the big issue and anyway compatibility with Symbian implies specific packaging as well.
So the Nokia instance of MeeGo will be Debian-based, using dpkg and co; while Intel's instance is RPM-based?

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The Harmattan program keeps working with the same plans than last week, no matter the name of the product they will deliver. Maemo 6 and Moblin 2.x merge and have a successor called MeeGo.
So "Maemo7"/MeeGo will basically be the first version of an OS deployed to a device? I thought part of this whole 5-step program was to prove the Maemo OS through a number of devices and enhancements until it would be ready for prime time.

This seems to quite the step back and I'm anticipating that MeeGo will once again be square one in a new X-Step program.

Don't you think people will eventually grow tired of Nokia's inability to actually complete this process and its rather apparent lack of consistent direction?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
So "Maemo7"/MeeGo will basically be the first version of an OS deployed to a device? [...] Don't you think people will eventually grow tired of Nokia's inability to actually complete this process and its rather apparent lack of consistent direction?
I somewhat share the worry. However, it has to be said that Maemo and Moblin have come quite a long way already, the experience (and software) surely won't simply be discarded. Problems solved during the Maemo development cycle (hardware drivers, memory optimization, internal services, UI etc) will not need to be solved again from scratch. The basic OS will probably require very few changes (even though it will require repackaging).

If Nokia can deliver a top-class Harmattan device this year, nobody will care about previous strategy, roadmaps and "step X of Y".

The Following User Says Thank You to toyg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Can someone just tell them to re-run the naming schemes with the focus group again?

Are they REALLY ABSOLUTELY SURE that they wanna go with MeeGo for a whole line of premium products...??
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by jak View Post
So the Nokia instance of MeeGo will be Debian-based, using dpkg and co; while Intel's instance is RPM-based?
No, the first instance of MeeGo (MeeGo prerelease, if you want to call it like that) will be Harmattan (previously named maemo6). It will use deb packages. After that (maemo7) it will be using rpm.
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
So "Maemo7"/MeeGo will basically be the first version of an OS deployed to a device? I thought part of this whole 5-step program was to prove the Maemo OS through a number of devices and enhancements until it would be ready for prime time.

This seems to quite the step back and I'm anticipating that MeeGo will once again be square one in a new X-Step program.

Don't you think people will eventually grow tired of Nokia's inability to actually complete this process and its rather apparent lack of consistent direction?
The five step program have the aim to provide end-user-friendlyness at the fifth step (maemo6 or Harmattan or first instance of MeeGo). So Harmattan and MeeGo will provide this user-friendlyness.
A OS is NEVER finished and will be developed further and further (it would be bad if not^^).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
I suspect "MeeGo" devices coming out this year will:
- provide the same version of QT and (possibly) Web Runtime
- have some way of installing RPM packages (which does not mean using them for the underlying OS -- you can do this sort of thing in Linux with alien etc)
- share the brand name

That's all they really need right now from a commercial perspective.

From 2011, all MeeGo devices will probably share a lot more, but I wouldn't expect anything more than this in the short run. It would be fun to have GeoClue and a couple of other things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't there initially.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
Quim you forgot to address all the incumbent changes to the community. What happens to those who run Maemo branded forums? To those who are currently members of the Maemo council? What happens to those who work on the Maemo infrastructure and code base - there already exists a MeeGo code base and infrastructure.

Unfortunately, there will be many changes to the community, not all of them positive.
Wait...
Quim asked to change Maemo 6, not the entire Maemo community? Why should he address the whole community when only the latest variant is being asked to be changed - in branding?

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
The five step program have the aim to provide end-user-friendlyness at the fifth step (maemo6 or Harmattan or first instance of MeeGo). So Harmattan and MeeGo will provide this user-friendlyness.
A OS is NEVER finished and will be developed further and further (it would be bad if not^^).
I love your ability to make all these posts...and still they say absolutely nothing apart from re-iterating some tired old cliche.
I mean seriously, re-read this post from you - and the one about you "having a discussion" - there is absolutely no content in what you are posting.

Maybe I learnt this skill from you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Can someone just tell them to re-run the naming schemes with the focus group again?

Are they REALLY ABSOLUTELY SURE that they wanna go with MeeGo for a whole line of premium products...??
I think it's a good name. I can see how you can twist it in to "me ego", but if you can disregard that I don't see a problem.
Sounds catchy, especially if you say it while imitating the hulk. meego store

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Yeah, the OS keeps being developed, but mostly without backward device compatibility.

I'm pretty sure Hamarttan will run only in some N910 "step five" device. And I doubt it that when Nokia release its first MeeGo device they will even think about trying to release an installer for this hypotetical N910.

I don't criticize this, I can see their reasons. It really should be up for a project like Mer to create a more versatile distro. But how are they/we going answer to this new change of direction?

And what about the developers-developers-developers? I do feel they are being offered a better environment to work with, but how much is this related to a whole distrubution or just to the availability of specific tools?...

Tags
branding, buying nokia devices, buying non-nokia devices, intel is stinky, intel rocks, maemo, maemo 6, meego, meego versions, moblin, nokia, see tintin go bye-bye, sm - go back into hiding