Active Topics

i thought rogers and fido have a 3g network due to the release of the iphone 3gs. Can't you just buy a n900 then insert your fido/rogers sim and access their 3g network?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Rogers in Canada and AT&T in the US use the wrong frequencies for the N900 (at least as released in October). Maybe one of the new carriers will use supported frequencies.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Good news. It looks like the Wind Mobile AWS frequencies will work with the US T-Mobile N900. So Canadians can get 3G on their N900s. Sometime soon, when Wind launches.

....But the spectrum that was auctioned (“AWS”) is at a different frequency from most of the phones currently in the market, including the iPhone. It will take a while before the iPhone works on the AWS frequency (Apple needs to decide to do it). Unless anyone knows Steve and can have him call me.

Same answer for people’s currently unlocked phones. While there are some AWS frequency handsets out there (T-Mobile’s US 3G phones are AWS for example) and handset manufacturers are adding that frequency to their chipsets and handsets, it’s unlikely any currently “unlocked” phones will work on AWS at launch.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Saint-Jérôme, Québec
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Good news. It looks like the Wind Mobile AWS frequencies will work with the US T-Mobile N900. So Canadians can get 3G on their N900s. Sometime soon, when Wind launches.
It looks like it won't be offered in Québec

Why aren’t we talking about Quebec? We’re not in Quebec because we were beat out in the spectrum auction. Quebecor was successful in buying up nearly all of the available AWS spectrum in Quebec. They actually paid more for the Quebec spectrum than we paid for all the rest of Canada! We wanted to be there (and really still want to be there), but we can’t do that without spectrum. However, we are working on having roaming coverage in Quebec and other areas in Canada.

The Following User Says Thank You to brunoqc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
damn you qole, I was about to post that comment! lol Yea it's good news, I keep checking the Wind mobile site for info on launch details. Qole how did you get your device? I don't think I've ever been this jealous before. If I kill you and steal your Identitfy, will I be able to keep the device too? lol thats a joke.. haha... haha.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
damn you qole, I was about to post that comment! lol Yea it's good news, I keep checking the Wind mobile site for info on launch details. Qole how did you get your device? I don't think I've ever been this jealous before. If I kill you and steal your Identitfy, will I be able to keep the device too? lol thats a joke.. haha... haha.
Just to make you feel better.... qole does not have the device anymore. Qole correct me if am wrong

And by damn you, I simply am envious and angry.

I do have a question for you though, any idea if there is a way I can preorder from Canada?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Saint-Jérôme, Québec
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
I do have a question for you though, any idea if there is a way I can preorder from Canada?
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Looks like we might be able to get them via expansys.ca (for $760 ) and we should be able to get true 3G via Wind Mobile when they eventually launch...

More patience is required, it would seem, than I currently have in stock.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...010#post324010

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Wind has a poll on their site where the great majority of users are looking for better talk-rates and better data-plans. Hopefully Wind prices their services attractively.

I can't wait!

]:^]~

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Wind has a poll on their site where the great majority of users are looking for better talk-rates and better data-plans. Hopefully Wind prices their services attractively.

I can't wait!

]:^]~
Yea, I don't want to get my hopes up though, all their philosophy and ideas and press releases are great. But there is zero word about prices yet, and to compete in Canada they could offer better service and less scams at the same rates and still make some way in the market.

Only time will tell.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:

Tags
buy, canada, canadian, cost, n900, provider, providers, retailers, rogers, wind