Posts: 39 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Eastern US
What the ***** is Device Idle?!?!?!?

As of today its consumed 68% of the battery drain over the last 7 hours.

For the last three days, since having done a SIM swap from T-MO to ATT, my idle consumption has gone from about 9-12 to 40-46.

While on T-MO this thing sipped battery. While on ATT it chugs battery.

According to the Battery Usage app the biggest culprit is nothing but Device Idle and it never goes down.

The only background connection is MFE, no twitter, no facebook, nothing else except the use of the browser. Yes, I even switched to GSM only mode from Dual and it stayed the same. I've not re-booted since Saturday and no change.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
It happens to me a few times as well... Turned off almost everything, but battery just drain stupidly, a restart helped...

Please, read this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80009 and maybe also this https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=486

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The first thread I had tried to read for the most part but was unaware of the other.

So do I need to perform both a re-boot and create/delete home page link or just the create/delete link process?

Originally Posted by jefftb View Post
The first thread I had tried to read for the most part but was unaware of the other.

So do I need to perform both a re-boot and create/delete home page link or just the create/delete link process?
Maybe at first just try to check with terminal/top if problem is this same "meegotouchhome". If it is, then playing around with homescreen icons should help the process calm down...

have done the web link icon create/delete twice. Device idle is down to 31 now but device idle state is still top battery consumer according to battery app.

have done the web link icon create/delete twice. Device idle is down to 31 now but device idle state is still top battery consumer according to battery app.
Battery Usage shows the average over a longer period. Not the current one... Please be patient...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Well, idle by definition is "not doing anything else". So if you want the idle usage to go further down you will have to do more stuff!!

Play a video in a loop or something. Then the idle usage will go down, but the battery will go down just as fast

Heck, my "System Idle Process" on my work XP computer is using 98% of the CPU!

at 5am EST it was still at 30, i ran another desktop create/delete and two hours later its back at 12. Device idle is.now in second with Fenix in the top spot. Seems this process does work.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Just see the top process draining cpu in Conky or HTOP. The other day I was showing some large plain text file to someone doing a 'more' in XTerm and even if I stopped it, 'more' was still executing. I realized hours after, because the cellphone was really hot in my pocket, and 'more' drained almost all battery.

TL;DR
Every program, even the less complex ones, could be draining the sh*t outta your battery. Check it with htop, Conky, or even powertop