ok first up dont tell me to use the search, i have tried that for 3 days now both here and google to be honest i have been scared to post this as im guessing it must of been covered, but i cant find it

ok i love my n800

but when i tried to play a video i got crystal sound and a slide show

mplayer (found after searching a while) fixed that and i can play any video on my device perfectly

however there are times im laying in bed unable to sleep and i want to load up a comedy, the default media player lets me do this but im treated to a slide show

mplayer lets me browse to the file but when i select it, it does nothing

what am i missing? there must be a better way then copying the file to my card then playing

if it makes a difference the fileserver is a opensuse 10.2 fileserver using samba for the network shares no passwords required

edit***
and the n800 is running os200(i believe thats the most recent)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL

I've been mounting a directory on my linux desktop via sshfs on my n800, and playing videos from there. Works great with mplayer.

where do i get the sshfs app from? its not in my applist( i got most the repositries installed)

did look at the other link but that looks like turning my linux pc into a upnp, if i have above right i can just install sshfs ond use it to mount my linux box like a mmc that sounds perfect

Hi,

I recommend you Mediatomb media server with VLC real time transcoding and Nokia media server browser wit UPNP.

Regards,

Taguapire.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
did look at the other link but that looks like turning my linux pc into a upnp, if i have above right i can just install sshfs ond use it to mount my linux box like a mmc that sounds perfect
The issue with any sort of network playback is that it has overhead, so it limits the size and quality of media you can play back compared to local playback.

The idea with mediautils is to set up on-demand on-the-fly transcoding with an http front-end so no matter what you want to watch, it's always tailored just for the NIT and there's no need to think about it. It's simple to set up and simple to use, and works all the time. sshfs will not work any better than samba (it may actually be worse with compression).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I simply mount a smb share using wizard-mount or the command line and play using mplayer from command line (or use it's own file browser)

i cant figure out how to mount ? the wizard mouunt quick mounnt asks server name , resource folder username annd pass.
servername horseman or 192.168.1.8
resource folder (is this the folder on the server tto be mounted?) i tried tv (which is a shared folder), there is no user or pass needed

but it wont work

u guys also mention to do it through cmd line? i assume u mean the xterm thing but what do i type? i tried mount but that just gives me some wierd list i hate how complicated linux is, not for the first timme iim wishing nokia used a proper os (dont get me wroung linux is good iin a server but for genual use horrible)

can someone give me an example of the cmd line thhey use plz

Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
where do i get the sshfs app from? its not in my applist( i got most the repositries installed)

I was able to get sshfs working with the packages found here. They aren't in the repositories yet, probably because they aren't deemed as being stable enough, although I haven't had any problem yet. Some of those packages seem to be for developers using the SDK, also. I believe the only ones on that page that you will need to install are: fuse-utils, libfuse2, and sshfs-fuse.

You will probably have to install them with dpkg -i as root in the terminal. Also, as root, you have to load the fuse kernel module before sshfs will work. The command is "insmod /lib/modules/chinook-fuse.ko".

Then, as the normal "user", in the terminal, you mount some directory on another computer (that has sshd running) with:
sshfs username@hostname:/path/to/directory /path/to/tablet/directory

Hope that helps. Playing videos like this over the network works really well, even with larger videos. Although, with larger videos you might have to wait a few seconds when seeking forward or backwards.

Last edited by mudhoney; 2008-04-23 at 15:22.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I did a bit of googling on your behalf and found this thread a bit interesting. While it's not tablet-specific, it does discuss issues with Linux-to-Linux streaming: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566394

I haven't tried sshfs yet. Post your results