Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Jolla has already demonstrated that crowdfunding works with a tablet device
Have they? Are you one of the mysterious alleged chosen few who has actually seen one?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Could be several millions, or could be less. There's not really that big a difference between a phone and a phablet, and just a short hop from a tablet to a phablet
In hardware terms perhaps but it's often disappointing that user interface design seems to be forgotten on many phablets and tablets where it's little more than just a scaled up phone UI sometimes.

Jolla has already demonstrated that crowdfunding works with a tablet device so a phone is just 2 hops away...
I'd disagree about the definition of "works". They've certainly pre-sold a lot of tablets but I wouldn't have said the crowdfunding process has been an out and out success or that the effect it seems to have had on phone UI development is entirely beneficial.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Could be several millions, or could be less. There's not really that big a difference between a phone and a phablet, and just a short hop from a tablet to a phablet
Well, you have to consider certifications that the Jolla tablet didn't have to go through by not making it 3G/LTE/whatnot.
You also have to consider funds to support the device for x amount of years.
You could mix funding with crowdsourcing; well, they are both funding options. The question is how much they can have and how many things they can do, especially at the same time.
I really like the idea of having variety. jalyst's post is about that... consider another type of device to get more market.

I think we'll see #soon* ;-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I agree with the posted idea, but 5.7" is way too big for me. Make it 5.7" and I won't buy it, even though I'm biiiig Jolla fan. But I can't buy what I can't handle (anything above 5").

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
I didn't buy first jolla in part cause of it's big size.
5.7''? No way.

Make it 4.6-4.7'' but no bigger than Sony Z3 compact, which means 65mm width is a maximum.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@lantern: If you want 4.6-4.7", then the first Jolla phone is big enough for you with 4.5".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I also see the size of current Jolla device as already too big.
But that is personal attitude and we will need to adapt what the masses want (bigger wider heavier, until we reach last C-net 'mobile devices' )

--
but personally I do like my N9 that much that I got a spare and keep using it out-of-home

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
@lantern: If you want 4.6-4.7", then the first Jolla phone is big enough for you with 4.5".
You didn't read, do you?
65mm width - max!
Jolla has 68.

PS And I'm already compromising, since N9 has 61mm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
You didn't read, do you?
65mm width - max!
Jolla has 68.

PS And I'm already compromising, since N9 has 61mm.
You drive a hard bargain, sir!

I do partly agree with you though... N9 was the perfect form factor and at first Jolla seemed way too big.

However now that I have used it for the past years I have kind of gotten used to the larger form factor. Now the Jolla size feels pretty natural.

Oddly having the additional thickness of TOHKBD does not bother me at all. as a long-time communicator user it seems fairly natural to handle a thicker piece

So my take on optimal size is; "make 'em small but stocky!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I'm afraid I don't want a too small form factor too. Because Full HD or even 720p on a 4.7 screen make things a bit too small.

I think LG made something close to the ideal with the Nexus 5. Full HD, 70 mm width with very small bezel. The first time I hold it in hands, I was very surprised how compact to appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2