Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Yes, I was wondering whether the Pont de la Immaculada Constitucio would help us getting more people or the opposite.
More students, take that for granted. Dunno about the rest, really...

As a UX topic proposal, what about games UI (generic, not talking about any concrete example)? The current osso-games-startup is surely going to die (since it's Gtk+ based after all), and there's still a lot of questions to be resolved about what users expect from "quick" games on Maemo:
- Is a startup screen like the current osso-games-startup one the best approach? Jump directly to the fullscreen game?
- Allow games to continue in the background -- potentially killing battery? Warn user about this? How? Prefer autosave and close instead of going to the background?
- If "Common" startup screen: design? game banner+esrb rating+ play and restart buttons?
- Expected ingame widgets: the close button. or task switcher icon that opens game menu? second app causes autosave+close and opens system task switcher?
- Multiplayer games -- there's a lot of infrastructure in the Chatting app available AFAIU. Potentially you could tap on a contact and "play a game of X".

Dunno if it's the best topic to dedicate for a two hours discussion (but seeing most spots are still FIXME :P ... ).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
javis, i think that would be cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, those of you that have requested invitation here please formalize it at the official registration: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...161#post374161

Sorry for the double work. The Long Weekend is growing and we needed something more robust for registration than a wiki page. No need to explain again all the things you have explained already here.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Concept: MPlayer or VLC mobile UI
An alternative video player with support for more formats. They exist to some degree, but there is really no UI for them yet. A concept for an UI to easily select videos, and control playback is what this session should yield.
Make a UI frontend agnostic to whether MPlayer or VLC is used. Use codecs as they are provided instead. Preferably GStreamer.

Concept: Device-wide search
The idea is to have a simple way to search (via keyboard input) all data on the device - conversations, contacts, music, videos, documents, images, e-mails, notes, applications, ... Something like Gnome Do or Quicksilver, but for Maemo. Ideally, we would be able to replace the "type-to-search contacts" of the Desktop with this (but that's a technical issue, the idea is to get a concept for an easy-to-use device-wide search tool).
Agreed. Tracker is used backend for this right now. Needs finger-touch-friendly frontend & plugins. See Kupfer thread.

Usability: Nicotine (or any other P2P filesharing app)
There should be an easy way to search for files, download them and then play them back. Nicotine is already there, but there's too much configuration and clicking involved. I think Daniel would be happy to get some support here.
Nicotine+ is bloated and dead. Museek+ is the future, and the concept fits perfect on N900 purpose. OTOH, P2P clients without checksumming are dead too.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Make a UI frontend agnostic to whether MPlayer or VLC is used. Use codecs as they are provided instead. Preferably GStreamer.
I suggested that one because VLC and MPlayer support more formats than GStreamer (even on my Desktop when installing all the "bad" and "ugly" plugins). We don't need another frontend with GStreamer as a backend - the built-in media player is mostly great already. (of course, a goal would be to have all codecs inside/available for GStreamer - but until that happens, I want my VLC- or MPlayer-backed media player, so I can enjoy exotic formats right now instead of "maybe in 7 months").

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Nicotine+ is bloated and dead. Museek+ is the future, and the concept fits perfect on N900 purpose. OTOH, P2P clients without checksumming are dead too.
Although Nicotine+ still works fine for me (even on the N800), we could give Museek+ a try. The fact that is has the backend split from the frontends might make it easy to create a fresh, stripped-down Maemo UI for mobile usage. And there are several clients to choose from to base the Maemo UI on

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I suggested that one because VLC and MPlayer support more formats than GStreamer (even on my Desktop when installing all the "bad" and "ugly" plugins). We don't need another frontend with GStreamer as a backend - the built-in media player is mostly great already. (of course, a goal would be to have all codecs inside/available for GStreamer - but until that happens, I want my VLC- or MPlayer-backed media player, so I can enjoy exotic formats right now instead of "maybe in 7 months").
Hmm, in my case VLC cannot play files which Totem (with Fluendo bundle) can play. Or which RealPlayer can play.

I think the most user-friendly, short-term solution is to allow the user to find suitable plugins to play the file _including_ using VLC as backend.

For long-term it is find out the most popular of the features (e.g. exotic formats) which are not supported and support them via Nokia infrastructure which is GStreamer (and PulseAudio).

For example, when the lack of equalizer was pointed out a Nokia employee wrote an (unofficial) GStreamer equalizer plugin.

Although Nicotine+ still works fine for me (even on the N800), we could give Museek+ a try. The fact that is has the backend split from the frontends might make it easy to create a fresh, stripped-down Maemo UI for mobile usage. And there are several clients to choose from to base the Maemo UI on
Versions before 1.2.10 suffer from an evil memory leak. The interface of Nicotine-Plus is optimized for a GTK2-based desktop.

Museek-Plus OTOH allows one to run the P2P-side on a different computer than the client which is by itself a useful feature (think of it running on a low-power ARM/MIPS/PPC device, or on a fast file server) and also useful for those who are roaming.

The user is also able to pick client best for their OS and liking: Mucous (ncurses-based client), Murmur (pygtk2-based client), Museeq (qt4-based client) and some command line tools. The Museek-Plus protocol is completely open, and the SLSK protocol is abstracted by Museekd.

I'm not sure how well Museek-Plus runs on Windows though, but the source is open. Another problem may be that the current clients are not optimized for finger-based touchscreen usage, and there is no web-based frontend.

BTW, the other P2P client which has a similar architecture as Museek-Plus is MLDonkey. It has support for multiple P2P protocols.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-11-14 at 17:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Mmm we need to do something about http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo-Barcelon.../UX_meets_Code

This thread is too silent lately.

There is a lot of warming up in the UX / organization side, and we are getting a good bunch of professional designers ready to help developers improving their apps.

But what we start to miss now are... the developers with the cool applications!

REMEMBER TO REGISTER! We are sponsoring 17 participants at the moment (see the list at http://maemo.org/news/events/maemo-b..._long_weekend/ ) and we have still budget for some more.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Irreco would be a good candidate application for the UX/UI tuning but as far as i know there are not many active developers at the moment. That application has a huge potential.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
We also need one more project proposal in "concepting", three more in "usability" and two more in "graphics", if we want to keep the proposed project schedule as it is now.

Depending on how many different suggestions there are, an idea (for Saturday - the Usability day) would be to have shorter time slots, but have more applications (many applications in Extras need "just a little more love" to be more usable). Going through an application, highlighting problems and figuring out improvement suggestions can probably be done in 30-40 minutes per application instead of 2 hours (but maybe I'm also just misunderstanding what is going to happen in these sessions .

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
What about usability for zoutube (the youtube app i wrote, which this weekend will hopefully have iplayer inside or as a separate app using most of the same structure)