Posts: 35 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Sweden
Hi
Need som feedback on an idea that I have.
Would it be possible to:

1. Buy a small touchpad module, like this one: http://itw-gmbh.com/product.php?partNo=CM0100

2. Get a new/used batterylid

3. Glue the touchpad module on the batterylid and connect it to the serial connector/header inside the battery compartment.

So what do you guys think? good/bad idea?
Making a connector for the serial header might be a problem.

Last edited by mutex; 2007-03-05 at 21:01.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mutex View Post
Hi
Need som feedback on an idea that I have.
Would it be possible to:

1. Buy a small touchpad module, like this one: http://itw-gmbh.com/product.php?partNo=CM0100

2. Get a new/used batterylid

3. Glue the touchpad module on the batterylid and connect it to the serial connector/header inside the battery compartment.

So what do you guys think? good/bad idea?
Making a connector for the serial header might be a problem.
What're you going to do with it?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
What're you going to do with it?
To navigate around in the OS.
If you hold your N800 in both hands, your fingers reach quite well to the backside of the N800, where the touchpad will be.
So then you'll be able to navigate with the tip of our finger, instead of the stylus.
Might work well for playing games on the N800.
Please pardon my confused explanation, I prefer to explain stuff in swedish

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Certainly an interesting concept - one of those ideas I'd need to experience before I could say definitively whether it's workable or not.

However since the N800 screen is already a touchscreen, doesn't this render the need for a secondary touchpad somewhat superfluous?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mutex View Post
To navigate around in the OS.
If you hold your N800 in both hands, your fingers reach quite well to the backside of the N800, where the touchpad will be.
So then you'll be able to navigate with the tip of our finger, instead of the stylus.
Might work well for playing games on the N800.
Please pardon my confused explanation, I prefer to explain stuff in swedish
I see what you mean. I don't think it's my cup of tea, but others may like it.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Certainly an interesting concept - one of those ideas I'd need to experience before I could say definitively whether it's workable or not.

However since the N800 screen is already a touchscreen, doesn't this render the need for a secondary touchpad somewhat superfluous?
Well you could do stuff that's not possible or hard with the stylus, like playing FPS games and "one-hand point and click".
And I belive that navigation would be quicker compared to navigating with the stylus, but that's only me

Does anyone know if the N800 has the same serial port pin-out as the N770?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It would have to work backwards to be of any use, wouldn't it?