Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Users definitely want to have devices in purses and pockets without caring about scratches...that is an important benefit to be considered.
OK, a small advantage. Multi-touch is no biggie, I found it to be clumsy in practice.

But a good resistive like the N900 is far more versatile and useful. Coming from a capacitive screen phone to the N900 was a revelation and I'm hoping never to have to go back to a capacitive screen.

So at least be honest about Nokia's reason to switch. Which (mostly) is the public's perception that capacitive is better, which in turn is due almost entirely to the fact that's what the iPhone and Android phones use.

Anyway, since marketing will dictate a capacitive screen, at least be smart about it and include a pull-out stylus like the N900. It would help offset the loss of fingernail input somewhat.
Registered Linux user #266531.

I just wish I knew one thing...will the meego phone have a real keyboard? If so I would hold out for that, if not I'd just get the darn n900. I'd assume the meego will not have a hardware keyboard as it seems nokia is just copying other smartphones now.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
But what I don't understand is that, why do people insist that there's no high response resistive multitouch screens out there!! There are such screens now-a-days you know..

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
But what I don't understand is that, why do people insist that there's no high response resistive multitouch screens out there!! There are such screens now-a-days you know..
Are they limited run tech demos for expos and "Isn't it cool?" YouTube videos, or are they being mass produced with small failure rates and low cost so a major handset manufacturer can call up and order 100k a month for the next year? Last I looked, it was the former. Has the situation changed?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I got a say as a guy who have owned or still owns resistive devices like 5800 and N900. Capacitive devices like Omnia HD, ipod touch 1G and Zune HD... i would take capacitive over resisitve.

There's bad capacitive, resistive screens and UI's that might fit better to one of those, but i find good capacitive always better in normal everyday use.
There's imo something wrong when you need to buy case or screen protector for your device(ipod touch manages this even with no resistive because of the metal back). I haven't ever warmed to the idea, but most of all i just find capacitive more responsive and better to use.

Can we not turn this into a resistive vs capacitive debate?

It's like beating a dead horse. One side will never agree with the other.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sevla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Can we not turn this into a resistive vs capacitive debate?

It's like beating a dead horse. One side will never agree with the other.
Shhh.. it was almost forgotten before you rise it back up
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

then i guess n900 will be my paint mate for several years from now on

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Are they limited run tech demos for expos and "Isn't it cool?" YouTube videos, or are they being mass produced with small failure rates and low cost so a major handset manufacturer can call up and order 100k a month for the next year? Last I looked, it was the former. Has the situation changed?
Sorry to bump this thread.. But, I just wanted to grab sjgadsby's attention to this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVIKYF7MOzU

That's a multitouch resistive screen that has meego on it.. Now if only Nokia also does the same thing on it's phones.. that would be great!

Last edited by bandora; 2010-06-02 at 06:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Perhaps not, but Nokia is clearly a company that should be capable of pushing technology moves like that. It might even appeal to marketing given their lack of strong innovation over the past few years.