Active Topics

Notices

@somedude:
There's no DRM in my PDA and I've still got TomTom on it (bought it twice, the second time was an upgrade). There's still a key though, so it's not copyable. It's linked to a serial number in the PDA, in a very non-obvious way.

To get the same level of non-copyability you only need a serial number in the N900 as well. And there's a BT id, for example, or the wi-fi mac (A mac address can usually be changed, but this has been shown to be very impractical on the previous tablets at least). And in the N900 maybe it's even possible to use the IMEI as a serial number.

am from South America too(chile) and Garmin is a must. Ovi maps are great and all but not as updated as Garmin maps, Gmaps works too but with no offline usage is kinda diff.. i mean expensive for me. (cant afford the data plan :'( )
PLEASEEEE GARMIN!!!

also i think theres no tomtom or route66 for my country so if i dont get Garmin and their excellent and i mean superb maps,(just in case u Garmin guys are reading this) i will be left out in the cold.

again: PLEASEEEE GARMIN!!!

Last edited by xn0wh3r3x; 2009-10-23 at 01:15.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I do not see Garmin, TOM TOM and any other major navigation provider jumping on the N900 until N900 gets DRM.
Until N900 has DRM their software is going to be vulnerable. Leading them to lose their money. Because almost everybody is going to pirate that software. And that is why you still have not seen any big players on N900 yet as ereader and such.
People pirate the bejeebus out of my android apps and they have DRM. Really really crappy DRM that doubles the goddamn size of my app.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by xn0wh3r3x View Post
again: PLEASEEEE GARMIN!!!
You realise that this is not the Garmin forum and that you are more successful in begging over there, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
just in case...

you realize that i put that, right?

Originally Posted by xn0wh3r3x View Post
am from South America too(chile) and Garmin is a must. Ovi maps are great and all but not as updated as Garmin maps, Gmaps works too but with no offline usage is kinda diff.. i mean expensive for me. (cant afford the data plan :'( )
PLEASEEEE GARMIN!!!
What are you saying??? Garmin has better maps than Nokia. I find that difficult to believe. Nokia Bought Navteq last year.
Do you know who provides the maps to Garmin?
You guess, it’s Navteq. I don’t believe that Navteq you send better maps to Garmin than to their boss Nokia.

Nope, I'm sorry but my country is barely covered by nokia maps which makes it useless for me.
Also my data plan is limited and if we're talking roaming than you must know there is no carrier that doesn't suck. Mine asks 4 euros/MB !

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
drm, that's not true. In my country Garmin is not using Navteq maps. They use the best maps available here. Navteq maps for many countries don't even exist so Ovi maps are simply one of the worst choices for bunch of people. Btw, i was very satisfied with Garmin on my S60 devices.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I emailed Garmin just in the last couple of days asking about N900 support. None for this platform now or anywhere in the near future.

Given how readily their stuff is available through torrents and whatnot, I can kind of understand their reluctance to develop for the more open platforms.

so any news regarding this????

CasTTeLLo