Active Topics

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Catalonia
I've been looking around and I found everyplace that N900 is going to have an FM Transmiter, but no place talks about FM Receiver.

I'm maybe special, but FM Radio is one of the must have of all my previous phones. I don't know about you, but I use it frequently.

It makes no sense for me having a "perfect" device and not having FM Radio build in. Mostly when you have some FM functionality.

So here they come my obius questions:

Do N900 have FM Radio reception? Does transmision implies reception?
Do the chipset work both ways?
Could it be some problem with the kernel?
Is it the hidden egg the same way that it was in N800?
Am I so special or it is normal for you too to use radio hability from your phones?

<unpolite>
If you like this post, please, thank it. I'm shamely low in karma for someone who was here from the first 770.
</unpolite>

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to epertinez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
there is FM receiver, but for now is missing the software that is using it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The kernel source code is public, so a few questions can be answered.

Originally Posted by epertinez View Post
Do N900 have FM Radio reception? Does transmision implies reception?
The Bluetooth chip is a combo-chip with Bluetooth and FM radio according to the data sheet that can be found at Broadcom for the BCM2048. Fanoush already pointed out months ago that the chip was a combo. The data sheet confirms this.

Do the chipset work both ways?
Transmitter and receiver sit on different chips.

Could it be some problem with the kernel?
Well, the driver is there in the kernel sources. We'll see if it'll be included on the real device.

Is it the hidden egg the same way that it was in N800?
Maybe. But then it was not well hidden since we found out about it several months ago already.

Am I so special or it is normal for you too to use radio hability from your phones?
I have never used radio on a phone, simply because none of my phones had an FM receiver. But I use my old N800 daily as radio alarm clock.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
It would be great if the FM Receiver can be used. Because when there’s no UMTS reception you can use FM radio to keep up to date with the news. Then finally my N800 can be put to rest.....:

The Following User Says Thank You to WilliePre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
If there will be a working driver, I'm gonna put it to use, as I did with pyFMRadio and MediaBox on the N800.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Boston, MA
If this doesn't have an FM radio function, I won't be buying it (too bad for me, it's too big of a device to have to carry another device (mp3 player) with.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by makoute View Post
If this doesn't have an FM radio function, I won't be buying it (too bad for me, it's too big of a device to have to carry another device (mp3 player) with.
So if N900 doesn't have FM-radio, you'd need mp3-player with you? Wouldn't you need FM-radio with you in that case since obviously N900 can play mp3's? Or did I misunderstood your mp3 player and you meant it as a radio too?
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by Soulfarmer View Post
So if N900 doesn't have FM-radio, you'd need mp3-player with you? Wouldn't you need FM-radio with you in that case since obviously N900 can play mp3's? Or did I misunderstood your mp3 player and you meant it as a radio too?
He probably meant that the "other" mp3 player was a Zune (or something similar) which has an FM receiver.

In any case, "community" work is being done (as we speak) to enable the FM receiver for regular users. So, don't fret too much.

The default Media player is very good (and usable). The FM transmitter rocks. There will soon be (probably many) ways to use the FM receiver.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Soulfarmer View Post
Yes, I use my mp3 player as a radio also. And I use the radio function everyday where as I only use the mp3 player mostly when I travel. So this is definitely a must have especially if I were to buy a phone that is the size of the N900.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by makoute View Post
Yes, I use my mp3 player as a radio also. And I use the radio function everyday where as I only use the mp3 player mostly when I travel. So this is definitely a must have especially if I were to buy a phone that is the size of the N900.
Yeah, now that I think of it, maybe I replied to your post way too fast.

I have FM-receiver in my Zen and E90 but I rarely use that feature so it was kinda too easy to overlook how other people might consider radio as a dealbreaker.
Stupidity is the thing I hate the most.