Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
fanastic news! it covers even more than Google Nav (US-only)
http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/pr...mo-phones.html

All currently available regional apps for other operating systems are in progress to be available on Nokia Maemo:
Australia & New Zealand, South East Asia (incl. Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia)
Brazil, Colombia, North America (incl. USA, Canada & Mexico), US
Complete Europe, UK & Ireland, Russia
Gulf Countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates)
"We are happy to announce the compatibility of Sygic Mobile Maps with Nokia's new Maemo 5 OS. Currently we are in the phase of quality assurance performing final tests. We are working hard to launch it for sales by the end of 2009, but we won't hesitate to make this sooner anytime when ready." comments Anna Hurbanic, Sygic's PR Manager.

Last edited by titan; 2009-11-13 at 18:53.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Good fine...thanks!!! will definately wait for it

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Hope Europe too. Sygic is very nice.

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Does anyone know if you can/will get (or will be able to subscribe to) traffic reports w/Sygic? As I am in my car a lot driving from client to client, this is an invaluable tool I currently use often (in Los Angeles especially) w/TomTom on my Treo 750.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Never heard of them, are they any good?
How do they compare to google maps or Ovi maps seeing as there is no google maps at the moment...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Sygic:

No satellite layer
No traffic layer (very important because you want to know if there are traffic congestion LIVE so you can take alternative route which Sygic doesn't provide because it's FIXED or downloaded!!)
No female voice as alternative
$80

This is why Google Map Nav is SICK!! It updated LIVE for traffic. Of course you need 3G all the time. The reason Sygic doesn't need 3G and load fast because it's NOT LIVE!! So it can't do things like update traffic.

NOOOOOOOOOO

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Sygic:
This is why Google Map Nav is SICK!! It updated LIVE for traffic. Of course you need 3G all the time. The reason Sygic doesn't need 3G and load fast because it's NOT LIVE!! So it can't do things like update traffic.
I've never used Sygic but I'd prefer a hybrid solution: have the maps offline
and optional (!) online access to live data (traffic, POI) or satellite images.
I hope they (or any other Maemo solution) will offer those features in the future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by titan View Post
I've never used Sygic but I'd prefer a hybrid solution: have the maps offline
and optional (!) online access to live data (traffic, POI) or satellite images.
I hope they (or any other Maemo solution) will offer those features in the future.
Agreed. This is what I'm looking for and exactly what I currently have running TomTom on a Treo 750 (which is being replaced by the N900...I hope).

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Sygic started off a couple years ago as some one-guy-project or so They were and still are quite small but their nav system covers every major player on the market. Sygic Drive runs on Windows Mobile, Android, UIQ, S60, even iPhone I believe and now Maemo.

It's not the best available, but fulfills everything a nav system has to fulfill. Optically it's drawing alot from TomTom, since it started off as a TomTom clone Sygic has been bought by Teleatlas a couple years ago and Teleatlas themselves belong to TomTom. So it now even became it's bigger cousins little fellow

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
Does anyone know if you can/will get (or will be able to subscribe to) traffic reports w/Sygic?
No, Sygic doesnt offer any subscription based additional functionality other than a (I believe) monthly updated speed camera database. They are just too new in the business and still too small.

Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Never heard of them, are they any good?
How do they compare to google maps or Ovi maps seeing as there is no google maps at the moment...
They are completely different to Google Maps. Sygic Drive is what TomTom or Navigon or Garmin is, an onboard offline navigation solution where you put that and that many megabytes or gigabytes of map data onto your device/memory card and that's the data the program accesses. As mentioned, optically it started off as a complete TomTom rip-off clone and still looks quite similar. It's not fully matured yet but it's cheap and cheerful, offers everything a navigation prog has to offer. And is owned by the major mapping company in the world so there will always be map updates Cant compare to Ovi Maps, don't know it yet.

Edit: Don't know Ovi maps I mean. I'm running around with some fancy robot in my pocket at the moment ;-)

Last edited by schaggo; 2009-11-13 at 21:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn