Active Topics

Developing apps for N900 seems to me to have been something of a moving target, and in the past there have been several alternative approaches.

I'm keen to make a very simple app, but not sure what's the best way to go about it.

I've taken a look at http://wiki.maemo.org/Category:Qt but a lot of documentation seems out of date, and links to documentation on Nokia's website often no longer work.

What do people currently developing Qt apps for N900 do? I don't need the "latest and greatest" Qt version or anything.

I'm familiar with QT Creator, Scratchbox and MADDE - I even went to the trouble of installing all of them at various points - I'm just not sure which are still useful (and viable).

Thanks

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
I personally used the instructions below to install the SDK in a Debian VM.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...K_Installation

I then create whatever in QtCreator, build a .deb and scp it to my N900 for testing purposes.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Ahh, which version of Debian are you running in the VM? Squeeze? I'm running Wheezy on my 'bare metal' (i.e. not virtualised), although if need be I could set up a Squeeze VM...

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Xagoln View Post
Ahh, which version of Debian are you running in the VM? Squeeze? I'm running Wheezy on my 'bare metal' (i.e. not virtualised), although if need be I could set up a Squeeze VM...
Code:
crunch@crunch:~$ cat /etc/debian_version 
I use Ubuntu 64-bit and had issues installing scratchbox.
I then noticed someone on the forum used a VM, the rational behind this is you don't update this and avoid potentially damaging your development environment. It seemed Squeeze was the best option when I read up about it.

Also note the warning that the GUI SDK seems broken, IIRC I used the manual instructions.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Also note the warning that the GUI SDK seems broken, IIRC I used the manual instructions.
I faced the same problem gui sdk in linux was not a good idea.

First I used scratchbox on debian squeeze. I could setup everything fine except debhelper. But I wasn't able to make proper packages and send to autobuilder.

On my laptop I running a win7 and need to make some Qt apps for windows. So I decided to install the nokia Qt SDK 1.2.1 (offline version). It was easy to install and easy to make a deployment. The only thing was that you need to change your debian/rules file to work with the autobuilder and add a custom step to create dsc;tar.gz;changes files for the extra assistant.
Now I feel really bad because I develop for linux on windows.
Sometimes it is really frustrating to invest so much time to setup a crosstool compared to the time for writing a small app.

Tags
devel, maemo 5, nokia 900