Thanks for the rant, SamGan. At least I know I'm not alone.

So are we stuck with GoogleTalk for video calls? Is a video call app beyond the capability of the MeeGo community?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
Thanks for the rant, SamGan. At least I know I'm not alone.

So are we stuck with GoogleTalk for video calls? Is a video call app beyond the capability of the MeeGo community?
Well, they may still be working on a peregrine-like solution elsewhere, that's what I'm trying to get them to spit-out.
I personally don't see what's so terrible about GTalk, most of my friends/fam use it just as much as Skype nowadays.
But it'd be nice if peregrine devs or people assoc/w/the project, were continuing a similar F/OSS project elsewhere.
One whose stated goals are GTalk "AND" Skype, as was originally the case with Peregrine...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-10 at 09:36.

The Peregrine people seems very weird. Pretty ironic that they tried to make a chat client when they barely can communicate themselves.

The worst thing a company can do is to not communicate at all. I don't like basysKom at all since all the silence around Peregrine and how they treat people asking polite and valid questions about what they're up to. I and a lot of other people have tried to contact them in several ways just be ignored with silence. I'm glad you managed to force a sentence or two from them before being ignored again...in the middle of your conversation.

Hopefully someone else will manage to get Skype video calling to N9. Google video talk is nice, but I would like to be able to do video calls from one phone to another. Pretty much the rest of the world use Android and Iphone and currently it doesn't work to do video calls from N9 to those.

Last edited by latency; 2012-03-10 at 14:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
@latency, I have videochatted on my N9 with both an iPhone 4 and Android phones. The only issue is getting your friends and family to open a Google account. Assuming their device is adequate, i.e. Gingerbread and Talkx for iPhone, you're videochatting. Most people have Google accounts in my social field anyhow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
@latency, I have videochatted on my N9 with both an iPhone 4 and Android phones. The only issue is getting your friends and family to open a Google account. Assuming their device is adequate, i.e. Gingerbread and Talkx for iPhone, you're videochatting. Most people have Google accounts in my social field anyhow.
Ok I've been trying back and forth to make it work with vtok for Android and iPhone. It works with Talkx then? Thanks for showing me the ligth I'll give that a try.

Last edited by latency; 2012-03-10 at 15:39.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
FINALLY got something out of the Peregrine devs:

jbos: hi, basically peregrine is stoped
jbos: no ongoing work
Me: @jbos Thank-you for your kindness in responding. Why is that? It looked very promising…
Me: Just 2mth ago it seemed you were going to continue. As I recall you just had some technicalities you were trying overcome.
Me: Please if possible can I get a response before the weekend. I believe it's 5pm in Germany now.
Me: It's hard to get you guys, so some final detail on what happened would be really appreciated! Thank-you.
Me: @jbos? Please! Before you leave for the week-end. Thank-you!
jbos: well
jbos: there are other projects and the N9/N950 is really not a good platform for creating a IM
jbos: with telepathy
jbos: the system uses telepathy and hooks into it quite against the documentation
jbos: so we decide to stop and do new stuff
jbos: didn't make any sense
And yet Nokia managed to use telepathy for video calls on the N9 and N900... I haven't familiarized myself with the internals of telepathy, but I assume an application similar to Empathy or Nokia's CallUI could be done without implementing stuff against the documentation. It would be interesting to know, if telepathy-spirit (Skype) actually supports video calls on some level on the N9. And that's because the same component seems to be used for video calls on the N900. The Skype videohost binary exists there too, but the problem is that both skyhost and telepathy-spirit are closed source.

I think SIP video calls should be around the corner, if Nokia has the interest to add support for them. I don't have any information about Skype video calls though. We might be left waiting for Skype users to start using other services after the Microsoft invasion .

Originally Posted by latency View Post
Hopefully someone else will manage to get Skype video calling to N9. Google video talk is nice, but I would like to be able to do video calls from one phone to another. Pretty much the rest of the world use Android and Iphone and currently it doesn't work to do video calls from N9 to those.
Originally Posted by latency
Ok I've been trying back and forth to make it work with vtok for Android and iPhone. It works with Talkx then? Thanks for showing me the ligth I'll give that a try.
I think Nokia has tested the N9 to be compliant with at least the Gtalk web ui. Which should mean that the issue isn't definitely on the N9. The problem might as well be in the third party application available for IOS or Android.

In my opinion Gtalk is as good as other IMs with similar features (e.g. Skype). It's just that, for example, most of my friends have a Google account, but they use Skype or Facebook and not Gtalk.

I don't really care that much about Harmattan anymore, we all know it's a temporary thing until Mer/* systems will catch up. But if Peregrine got frozen, then it means there won't be video calls on Spark with Mer/Plasma Active. And that's bad.

Just noticed that Harmattan bugzilla is closed for submitting new bugs. That's a clear sign of Harmattan's end.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Just noticed that Harmattan bugzilla is closed for submitting new bugs. That's a clear sign of Harmattan's end.
Is your criteria for Harmattan's end based on whether Nokia continue to support the os? If so then Fremantle should be already dead and buried so what is the Fremantle community doing here talking about something dead?

Even if Nokia stops N9 production the user community may still live for another 5 years so talk of Harmattan's death is premature.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kein For This Useful Post: