Active Topics

Any ideas on how to connect my perfectly sufficient infraredly communicating keyboard to the N770?

Of course, I would need some IR-hardware on the N770. I thought of an USB-IR-key. Could such a small device be powered by the Nokia? And is there a way to get it working? Some driver that only needs porting? Or would the kernel need some modification, thus making this project impossible?

And by the way... has anyone ever heard of an Bluetooth-to-IrDA-converter/adaptor? I need one!

I'll see, if I can dig up one on the net..

Last edited by tobi; 2005-11-24 at 22:00.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Northern Virginia, USA
Speculation, as my N770 order is backorderd like most everyone else's, but I own an IR keyboard for my PDA. A USB-IR dongle would have to be self-powered, as my understanding is the 770 does not provide power to the USB port. The IR keyboard works fine, but requires stable alignment between the PDA and keyboard. A wireless bluetooth keyboard seems better to me, as you have more flexibility in where you hold the keyboard and the 770. A USB keyboard (hacked to be self-powered or with a small poweerd hub) would beat the IR approach on price. Both USB and BT aupport appear to be in the 770 kernel; I doubt Nokia would have included IR support. All speculation until we get more 770s into people's hands and we can start hacking them in interesting ways.

If you have another computer with keyboard available, the best way to "connect" a keyboard would be to share the one that's already there. you can do so easily with the open source "synergy" program. It's cross-platform, for Linux, Windows, and Mac. you'd need to port it (or maybe just recompile the source code!) . It even lets you share clipboards between machines!