Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
-C is way to complicated for a newbie.
Indeed. But it is also incredibly rewarding. C is a bit ugly, but writting good C++ really is a beautiful experience. I wouldn't start with C++, but if one likes to develop, I would advise him to learn and do some Qt/C++ soon enough.
Also, joining a C++ project can be much easier than setting one from scratch.

In an announcement that has stunned the computer industry, ...
funny but it's a joke

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
C++ is not hard to learn (well, that's before one delves into the depth of C++11 for example). But writing good code in it is harder to learn, since C++ allows for more pitfalls with raw pointers and the like than languages which hide memory management. But it shouldn't stop one from learning it.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Lot of parts of Maemo 5 are written in C (not C++) because it more using Gtk (as Qt).

I'm suggesting to start writing in python. It is easier as C/C++.

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
I think that wikipedia page was a lot more complicated than explaining assembler/ML actually needs to be.
Of course it was. It was an exegeration to show, how far one could go in: "learn that first, before you can start with ...". Formal RAMs (like Turing machines) are used to proof things, rather than to explain assembler language. To make that evident, I added the logspace part.

The Following User Says Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Way to go helping a total newbie by recommending him ML/assembler :-D. Troll or be trolled!

And btw to the OP. C is a simple language, not at all difficult for a newbie. It was the first real programming language I learned (if not counting Pascal, I disliked that one). Python is probably a good place to start with though.
No, C is a lot more complicated than assembler to learn. and if you havent learned both then you shouldnt talk about assembler unless you want to be a troll that argues about stuff you dont understand...

None of them are suitable for a beginner today, but since C is so complicated with both its similarity to a highlevellanguage , and its dependancy on lowlevel knowledge to fully understand it, it gets very complicated and a lot of stuff may not behave as expected in normal highlevellanguages like for example python, where the dependancy of the lowlevel stuff is well hidden.. .

PS, i learned assembler (or actually ML) on the rca 1802 processor, as my first programminglanguage , on a computer quite similar to this http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/Elf2K.htm

highly recommended to start by using Python and PyQT combo first. much easier to keep the motivation and get something done first. go into C/C++ when you feel you have all the time in the world and feel you want more challenge and have more demands from your device.

kh

The Following User Says Thank You to bozoid For This Useful Post:
iv learnt C programming bt im pretty sure i dnt knw hw to apply it..so my question is tht is ther a program tht u wil need to develop apps for maemo? using C

C is a lot more complicated than assembler to learn.
Dude, c'mon, you're not even close. The K & R bible brought C to the masses. Nothing brought assembly to the masses. For good reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
i see assembly as seriously difficult thts why i gave up on it..bt because i dd C it is less disturbing thn assembly so if anyone can help me nd th dude who made this thread id be very greatful..

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Dude, c'mon, you're not even close. The K & R bible brought C to the masses. Nothing brought assembly to the masses. For good reason.
C needed evangelists and a thick bible, assembler and python relies on logic and dont need that...

Btw, IF ( "C" && "c" ) { is that true or false and why is it so...} ;

Tags
beq r1, bx argue, if (seekadvice), return argue();