Kinda an old but it is still very capable link here http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en
it has
Processor 800mhz OMAP3440
Ram 256mb
Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
Storage ranges from 32gb, 160gb, 500gb
Screen 4.8 inches 800x480 resistive touchscreen
Os Android 1.6 with some Archos enhancements/addons
Most importantly about this device can have have an installation of Angstrom Linux on it link here http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en and here http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en
The specs seem pretty good and no can touch Archos for portable media playback. I do like resistive touchscreens. As a Linux/Android mid this device is very capable.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
indeed, and the 8GB model is affordable, imo. Especially the angstrom option makes it interesting, even more so if archos have made it possible to use the addons (usb host and video out dock in particular).

tho there seems to be a even cheaper option coming from archos, the recently leaked archos32. between that and the samsung galaxy touch/yepp, i am on the fence.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
indeed, and the 8GB model is affordable, imo. Especially the angstrom option makes it interesting, even more so if archos have made it possible to use the addons (usb host and video out dock in particular).

tho there seems to be a even cheaper option coming from archos, the recently leaked archos32. between that and the samsung galaxy touch/yepp, i am on the fence.
But the Archos32 rumored to have 3.2" display at 400 × 240 resolution
http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ce_leaked.html

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
not much different from the ipod touch, and people found that acceptable. Also it will have usb host and video out, meaning one could potentially turn it into a pocket android computer if hooked up to a tv and adding a keyboard.

My friend let me borrow his archos 5 android. Its good device but its short comings bring it down.
Resistive touch screen isn't the best, only has android 1.6, and I have issues with wifi that need a complete reboot to fix.

If u want something to watch videos and browsing its a good device. But somehow I think I liked my n810 better.

Maybe with the next archos device they'll improve on the negatives. Or maybe nokia will come out with a nice meego tablet better than the 810.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
not much different from the ipod touch, and people found that acceptable. Also it will have usb host and video out, meaning one could potentially turn it into a pocket android computer if hooked up to a tv and adding a keyboard.
It looks nothing like a a ipod touch for one thing the design is different and it runs a different operating system.

Originally Posted by bxbomber View Post
My friend let me borrow his archos 5 android. Its good device but its short comings bring it down.
Resistive touch screen isn't the best, only has android 1.6, and I have issues with wifi that need a complete reboot to fix.

If u want something to watch videos and browsing its a good device. But somehow I think I liked my n810 better.

Maybe with the next archos device they'll improve on the negatives. Or maybe nokia will come out with a nice meego tablet better than the 810.
Well the Nokia n810 simply isn't a good value compared to the Archos 5.
Archos wifi is 802.11b/g/n while the n810 has 400mhz processor, Archos 5 processor is 800mhz, Screen on Archos 5 is 5 inch screen on Nokia n810 is 4.1 inch, ram on n810 is 128mb while its 256mb on Archos. The Archos 5 I can find 270 usd for 32gb while the Nokia n810 I find for 300-400 usd for only 2gb of storage.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Archos wifi is 802.11b/g/n while the n810 has 400mhz processor, Archos 5 processor is 800mhz, Screen on Archos 5 is 5 inch screen on Nokia n810 is 4.1 inch, ram on n810 is 128mb while its 256mb on Archos. The Archos 5 I can find 270 usd for 32gb while the Nokia n810 I find for 300-400 usd for only 2gb of storage.
Maybe this better, if all things were equal, I would def take the nokia 810, even if its pricier.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
As to price, you would really have to compare an N8x0 from eBay since the NITs are discontinued, and you'll find like-new for $90-200.

Comparing storage and not noting that the Nokia has a microSD slot, and the Archos doesn't, is really putting the apples up against the oranges.

Reading the reviews of the Archos 5 on Amazon, at first I thought the units were so problem-plagued that you were way off in preferring it; but reading the newer reviews, after Archos released various bug-fixes, does make it sound like a pretty great tablet.

Most impressive in this regard was one by "B. Forsberg," whom I suppose was the Bruce Forsberg who used to be on this forum (and had karma of 390):

I just got mine a week ago and so far I love this tablet. My first tablet was the Nokia N800 and N810. This is far superior to these. The video playback is fantastic. The browser experience is great, better then my laptop. I also got the DVR station. It comes with the HD plugin. With this plugin I am able to play vob formatted video files as is. I always had to down convert the files for the Nokia tablets. Their appslib market is much better then the Nokia market at [...] with more apps being added all the time.
http://www.amazon.com/Archos-32-Inte...DateDescending (review dated July 12, 2010)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2010-08-05 at 03:58.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
As to price, you would really have to compare an N8x0 from eBay since the NITs are discontinued, and you'll find like-new for $150-200.

Comparing storage and not noting that the Nokia has a microSD slot, and the Archos doesn't, is really putting the apples up against the oranges.

Reading the reviews of the Archos 5 on Amazon, at first I thought the units were so problem-plagued that you were way off in preferring it; but reading the newer reviews, after Archos released various bug-fixes, does make it sound like a pretty great tablet.

Most impressive in this regard was one by "B. Forsberg," whom I suppose was the Bruce Forsberg who used to be on this forum (and had karma of 390):

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-32-Inte...DateDescending (review dated July 12, 2010)
Actually th archos does have a Microsd card slot it mentions on the Amazon page here http://www.amazon.com/Archos-32-Inte...pr_product_top. As for the problems from what I have heard in reviews that firmware updates fix the glitches.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: