I like N900. I don't like Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoothc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Why do you need an app to disable it when you can just remove your sim card lol?
I would just to make sure.

Originally Posted by 6sicSIX View Post
Why do you need an app to disable it when you can just remove your sim card lol?
I would just to make sure.
The key thing here is that:
- You should not have to pull your sim card during an upgrade
- You should have an opt out of any services
- Nokia should not be sending SMSes without permission

Pulling your sim card out is simply dodging the issue.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ythomet View Post
I just got my N900-Box, there is no information at all about MyNokia, not on the box and not in the quickstart-guide. I also found the N97-Box: not one word on the box, but an ad in the guide.
Look harder, it's there. On the back of the N900 box, it says that "This is an OVI device" and registration by SMS is mandatory. I have added this to the bug in bugzilla, (with some comments).

IMO:

a) Putting it on the box means nothing. When purchasing the N900, you don't have access to the box, especially if ordered.

b) Branded N900 have custom boxes.

c) The box suggests that registration is mandatory for OVI, not using/updating the device, and especially without prompt. It also says NOTHING about contents of SMS.

d) Just because you see a warning, doesn't mean you agreed with it. They aren't the owners of the device. We are. And if some joker puts up a sign on my door that says "if you come in, I'll shoot", I expect to be able to come in, since it's MY HOUSE.

e) Nokia has no right to enforce an agreement I didn't sign into. I should be given the option and I should be responsible for my actions.

f) I said it before, I'll say it again. One of these days, I'm gonna pick up a brick and write on it: "By accepting the brick through your window, you accept all responsibility ..." and throw it over.

g) So it's on the box. I didn't notice it until the bug report said it's there. Is it legal? Really? If we are in a legal contract, then both parties have equal rights. How about I write something on the box? Get a marker, and write "No" in red. Hey, it's on the box.

No matter. One more boot in the behinds of people who believe in Nokia enough to shell a small fortune for an unfinished, beta device, just because of the logo. Exactly the people you should be kicking.

Well, good for you, I say. Some companies lost their advantage by change, market variation, bad competition, and downright illegal action and public lies. A true shame. Others deserve every inch.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Look harder, it's there. On the back of the N900 box, it says that "This is an OVI device" and registration by SMS is mandatory. I have added this to the bug in bugzilla, (with some comments).
small fortune for an unfinished, beta device, just because of the logo. Exactly the people you should be kicking.
Got my n900 back in December. No such statement anywhere on the box or manuals. Must be a new addition.

Whats in "OVI" for the n900 anyway, like 2 games and Firefox. That's when it's working.

I agree with everything you said mate.

This whole mobile computer thing is annoying too, Well then why did I lose further updating to my "mobile computer" only 6 months after i bought it? That's definitely a phone thing. not a mobile computer trait.

I don't get it? All it needed was one move to make everyone happy. Officially support Meego for n900. You're making the damn OS for a gazillion netbooks, platforms, mobiles and god knows what. What difference is one more device gonna make. Except make a lot of people happy

You can upgrade a 3 year old iphone to iOS4. sure it won't get all the features. but you CAN. and people ask why there are so many apple fanboys

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-06-27 at 18:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Maybe the council (or, why not someone else) could ask for an opinion from the European data protection supervisor about the legal standing of this issue in the European Union (With a well formulated explanation of what the issue is about). The privacy laws come from an EU directive and this issue spans the whole EU.

The small text on the product packaging is, at least on my box bought from Finland, written in English only so Nokia trying to cover behind that is invalid in any non-english speaking country.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kegetys For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Ups, you're right... I could even decipher it after I finally found my reading glasses (which I usually don't need those days)

And: it's in english, which is not a official language in Switzerland. If I remember correctly, informations on a product must be printed in all three languages so that they count.

Also, the few words about OVI are mentioned in a paragraph which deals with copyrights. I don't expect to have to read this to find informations which are important for me.

So my conclusion: illegal in Switzerland. And I suppose in EU also.

Perhaps you should ask for an answer from their legal department and not from marketing?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ythomet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
You're making the damn OS for a gazillion netbooks, platforms, mobiles and god knows what.
Barely. Half of all netbooks are out of the game thanks to the list of chipsets not supported.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Barely. Half of all netbooks are out of the game thanks to the list of chipsets not supported.
So much for the future Meego "environment" devices

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ythomet View Post
Perhaps you should ask for an answer from their legal department and not from marketing?
"This answer (and the service itself) has been checked by the Nokia Legal team, including lawyers aware of the UK legislation. It's [they] who defend that the service, even with the usability flaws, is legal."

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: