Closed Thread
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I would like to have Exchange client which will cheat with server.
It is mean will answer that it is provisioning device but really not....

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
That's been suggested. Unfortunately, the Exchange sync code is proprietary software so no-one can change it other than Nokia, and they say they won't make it do that.

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
and provide provisioning for Mail for Exchange so I dont have to carry two devices at once?
My guess, and hope, is never. I wouldn't want that kind of feature on my machine unless I'm the only one that can trigger it.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
cant sync with my server.....other nokia devices are all fine
ALL other Nokia devices or just those using Symbian? Different OS and different rules!

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Palleman View Post
My guess, and hope, is never. I wouldn't want that kind of feature on my machine unless I'm the only one that can trigger it.
Surely the answer to this is a stand alone app that exists in a sandbox? if the exchange admin wants to do anything then he can do.

What's i'd say as well is that the exchange admin owns the data - therefore if he wants to wipe it, demand a certain type of password, etc, then he's free to do so. 'my realm, my rules'
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
What's i'd say as well is that the exchange admin owns the data - therefore if he wants to wipe it, demand a certain type of password, etc, then he's free to do so. 'my realm, my rules'
The Exchange admin doesn't own the data, I do. He owns the server. If he doesn't want my data on his server, then he can disable my account and delete whatever data I've left on the server, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

Same goes for the phone. The phone is owned by my employer (at least officially), but the data on it is mine. If he wants to, he can take the phone back, and I'll keep my data elsewhere.

I don't think a sandbox will be enough. Microsoft will never consider the phone as provisionable as long as the user has unlimited root on it.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Palleman View Post
The phone is owned by my employer (at least officially), but the data on it is mine.
I'd estimate that this isn't true in 99% of cases. work emails belong to... work.

And like I said, Nokia could make a stand along Exchange application separate from Modest and enable provisioning for it. That way the employer can keep control of their data ('your' work emails) and you can keep your sanity that the boss doesn't have an unleashed worm in your pocket.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I disagree regarding the data ownership, but I agree that a separate application could be a solution. Then those who agree with you regarding the ownership can use that separate application, and those who don't can just refrain from even installing it.

But I doubt it would be enough for MS. It would be very easy for a user to move stuff out of that provisioned sandbox.

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
ALL other Nokia devices or just those using Symbian? Different OS and different rules!
Symbian.....N96, E51

Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
I would like to have Exchange client which will cheat with server.
It is mean will answer that it is provisioning device but really not....
that would also be my solution if i had the source and i could change it

But i can imagine that Nokia will not or cant do that because they have to conform some rules.

But if the open source community could build an open source solution....
Aren't there any other exchange clients for linux?

Closed Thread

Tags
exchange, exchange support, fremantle, goober the sequel, it will never die, maemo, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, non-provisionable, non-provisioning, provisionable, provisioning