Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Aren't there some ports for not officially supported devices?
So there were 100+ teams developing them?! Impressive.
We're as official as it can get

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
So besides android layer, what is so challenging compared to unofficial ports, that you need more than hundred people???

I would be surprised when the porting teams consisting of more than ten people and I would assume, that they do this in their free time.

Edit:
Ohhhhhh and nearly forgotten, how many employees does Jolla have? On the english wikipedia it is told, that there are just 50 employees.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Edit:
Ohhhhhh and nearly forgotten, how many employees does Jolla have? On the english wikipedia it is told, that there are just 50 employees.
Something about 50 and Sailfish on Xperia X is still not so stable as on Jolla 1(For sure it useable as a daily driver). This is the main reason I'm still using Jolla 1.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
Something about 50 and Sailfish on Xperia X is still not so stable as on Jolla 1(For sure it useable as a daily driver). This is the main reason I'm still using Jolla 1.
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame how they take so long to solve small problems. I'm selling my Xperia X excatly for that reason and looking for a Jolla C

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Aren't there some ports for not officially supported devices?
So there were 100+ teams developing them?! Impressive.
I would not exactly call them "everything is reliable and operating", though

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would not exactly call them "everything is reliable and operating", though
The same I wouldn't say about my officially supported Xperia X

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wazd View Post
We've basically used none of the KS funds on R&D and prefered to ship rather than to tweak key presses to perfection remotely.
Yes, and that was the biggest mistake you could possibly have made. I like using the TOHKBD I bought from someone else who didn't like it and I'm even grateful you guys made it (it's one of the only really cool uses the TOH concept ever got), but when you take into account that at no point in time have all of the keys ever worked the way they should without requiring you to press really hard on the center keys or the top row to make them register at all, and when you take into account that the connection between the keyboard and the device itself also drops fairly frequently, there is simply no other way to describe it than as a really poor and highly unreliable physical keyboard that's a hard sell even to enthusiasts. I almost forgot to mention that the TOH is 1mm too large, so it doesn't fit as snugly as it should. I am saying nothing whatsoever about Dirk's other way too large yet pretty expensive novelty TOHs that nearly fall off when you pick the phone up off the table. Or Dirk's green TOH material that turns into blotchy yellow when touched by human hands.

You're free to criticise this project however you want, but please don't insert yourself into the comparison because your product is not even worth comparing to a pipedream.

Sent from my TOHKBD Jolla Phone

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Yes, and that was the biggest mistake you could possibly have made.
First of all, I'm really sorry that you didn't have the best experience with TOHKBD.

The problem with key presses is a cause of "not quite perfect" key peg position/length, that presses on the metal dome. Unfortunately for us this silicone part is being made with the injection molding process which is super expensive if you're "trying things out" so each iteration of the design was a *really* heavy hit on our budget, so we've basically made two attempts, trying to figure out the right length with some off-the-shelf trickery and CAD simulations. Unfortunately I've failed to make it perfect due to the lack of funds and, most importantly, experience and I'm the one to blame for all the UX issues, I'm sorry.

When we were figuring out if we would be able to make a Moto Z Mod with our layout it was the first thing on our list to invest in.

But to say that we would rather spend all the money we were trusted with on some perfectionism exercises rather than work with all the limitations considered, but deliver - that type of decision is exactly why people don't trust crowdfunding anymore. I'd rather be an incompetent industrial designer that realises his mistakes and iterates on them than a crook. But that's me.

Last edited by wazd; 2019-02-01 at 13:44.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
What I don't like on this whole discussion is, that we don't discuss the product in the way it is planned, but we pick on each other like little children. There is no reason for being rude and unfair.

I have bought the TOHKBD at the time Dirk and his team offered it. And do I like it? No! For me the biggest problem aren't the keys but the balance of the device.

But that's just one aspect. The truth is, I never expected TOHKBD to be perfect. I was happy, there were some crazy guys, who just tried it. And I never regret having bought TOHKBD.

That said it makes me sad to see the same guys speaking all the time of vaporware and accusing Chen to be dishonest.

To be clear I don't know Chen personally, nor do I know if he is a honest guy or not. But I think we should assume that he is, as long as the opposite is proven.

And NO, the two projects, you are talking about doesn't prove something like that. Youyota wasn't the project of Chen (I've also lost some money there), even so he made the mistake not to be very clear on that, from the early beginning.

The Moto Z Mod was cancelled and all funding was repaid, as far as I know. So this speaks definitely for Chen! Not having success with a project isn't something I would accuse somebody. It's much worse not having tried it.

And PLEASE, I and some others have already written, there is no need to warn somebody about anybody, because this isn't a funding campaign. So we have nothing to lose and can just wait and see if there will be a product or not.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
What I don't like on this whole discussion is, that we don't discuss the product in the way it is planned, but we pick on each other like little children. There is no reason for being rude and unfair.

I have bought the TOHKBD at the time Dirk and his team offered it. And do I like it? No! For me the biggest problem aren't the keys but the balance of the device.

But that's just one aspect. The truth is, I never expected TOHKBD to be perfect. I was happy, there were some crazy guys, who just tried it. And I never regret having bought TOHKBD.

That said it makes me sad to see the same guys speaking all the time of vaporware and accusing Chen to be dishonest.

To be clear I don't know Chen personally, nor do I know if he is a honest guy or not. But I think we should assume that he is, as long as the opposite is proven.

And NO, the two projects, you are talking about doesn't prove something like that. Youyota wasn't the project of Chen (I've also lost some money there), even so he made the mistake not to be very clear on that, from the early beginning.

The Moto Z Mod was cancelled and all funding was repaid, as far as I know. So this speaks definitely for Chen! Not having success with a project isn't something I would accuse somebody. It's much worse not having tried it.

And PLEASE, I and some others have already written, there is no need to warn somebody about anybody, because this isn't a funding campaign. So we have nothing to lose and can just wait and see if there will be a product or not.
Well said!!

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen