Posts: 95 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
For me, macchanger always work. And it's very difficult to get another internet tablet user mac adress, if not impossible .

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Ptetoriano,

I am in danger of straying off topic here, but can you tell me what hardware / os you are using, and what version of Macchanger?

Thanks!

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Off course, macchanger 1.5 (it's a deb that i have in may computer, i don't remind where i downloaded it, if you want it i can send it to your mail). N800 OS2008 (the official release).

Bye!

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
And what's the low-level difference between macchanger and "ifconfig hw ether" (since the latter doesn't seem to work)?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The problem here (aside from the obvious ethical issues) is coliding with another person's MAC address. Screwing some company out of their dollars may be one thing, but screwing some poor schmuck out of his trial and, possibly, his license is just a dick thing to do.

Agreed...

Now as to the ethics thing well... them selling me a $60 app and a $40 receiver for $249, then two weeks later allowing their fulfillment agent to sell it for $199, not providing a bug report or feature request mechanism, then not allowing me to use the app if I upgrade my devices firmware unless I agree to a 36 month subscription licensing change... has a disturbing ethics issue as well.

On top of that the "upgrade" basically changed the apps value from $60 to about $62... Not really an upgrade at all IMHO.

Now back to this hack.
It seems to me this thing would provide someone with skills and a hex editor and/or a sniffer the means to more easily see what offsets change when the trial is activated.

Developing a patch from ^that would be much more elegant.

More than likely though, the cheap peeps will pound the crap out of the activation server until someone notices and they pull the free trial down altogether.

Originally Posted by luca View Post
And what's the low-level difference between macchanger and "ifconfig hw ether" (since the latter doesn't seem to work)?
This worked for me

ifconfig wlan0 down hw ether <new mac>
ifconfig wlan0 up

The MAC address changed, but wireless didn't work afterwards. I am guessing the idea behind the hack is to use a phone connection for requesting a new trial.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Now as to the ethics thing well... them selling me a $60 app and a $40 receiver for $249, then two weeks later allowing their fulfillment agent to sell it for $199, not providing a bug report or feature request mechanism, then not allowing me to use the app if I upgrade my devices firmware unless I agree to a 36 month subscription licensing change... has a disturbing ethics issue as well.
Overcharging doesn't make it ok to not pay for their service. If you think they're asking too much for a product, don't buy it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
arrrrrgh its the pirates life for me matey.

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Why bother? Dump it and get maemo mapper, it seems to be better from what little I have done with both.

Originally Posted by wv9k View Post
Why bother? Dump it and get maemo mapper, it seems to be better from what little I have done with both.
I agreed. maemo mapper might not have all the luxury functionalities (yet) but the map looks way better!!!!

Tags
customers?, middlefinger