Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Ok, silly question but probably useful not only to me.

My previous devices have had a setting so you could download only the headers of the content of your email inbox, then choose which email to d/l in full. That way I can avoid burning dataplan d/ling a funny video or soppy powerpoint someone sent me, or images in spam emails, but open and read the mostly text item my sister sent, etc.

I can't find a setting to do that in n900. But I've already started half a dozen question threads only to delete them unsent when I found the answer afterwards because the UI doesn't quite work the way I expect it to.

So... is that a possible setting, and if so where and how?

If not, would others also value it, in which case this evening I will brave the further reaches of 'brainstorm' and see if it can be sorted.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
I don't think so. Are you using POP3? I know IMAP will work (kinda) they way you want as everything (well only the inbox on the N900) stays online.

Heh, even the old email client in OS2007 could download just the headers.. and it shouldn't matter if it's pop or imap, pop has always had this possibility. It matters quite a lot when using a gprs/edge/3g connection. I wouldn't be able to use my N800 to read emails if it wasn't that it only downloaded headers, because the cost would have been too high.
It would be baffling if there's not an option to set headers only in the N900 email program. I haven't got mine yet, but someone must be able to comment on this?

Nope the only option you get in Modest now are:
  1. Default account
  2. New message format
  3. Update Automatically
  4. Update when connected via
  5. Update interval

The Following User Says Thank You to Ovek For This Useful Post:
Hm. Time to search bugzilla for existing bug report, I guess.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
RevdKathy, try addressing your problem here.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
IMO, the two previous links were off-topic to what the OP is asking, but this is.

http://blogs.igalia.com/svillar/2009...cture-support/
(Dec 16) "With this new feature, we can download every MIME part one by one, and thus saving you time, disk space and specially if you’re using a mobile device like N900, money in your GPRS connections. Do you want to read only the body? No problem we’ll show you that you have some attachments but we won’t download them until you request us to do so. Do you want to forward the full message? No problem, we properly detect that and include the full original message whether or not it was completely downloaded before.

This will most likely be included in the next N900 software update that will be eventually delivered by Nokia."

Hi, I have Nokia Messaging on my N900 at my mobile operator.

My problem is that I can't download full emails on my Inbox, only Headers, and I can't change that option on my n900, because it show inactive, does anybody know how to fix that?

I'm using IMAP

Thanks,

Last edited by Khoshteep; 2010-01-29 at 16:29.

So, irrespective of what is desirable, what is the actual behaviour? When is the content of a mail actually downloaded? I did only a short check but it seems to me that in one of my accounts all mails have been downloaded and in the other one they are downloaded on demand. Both are IMAP.