Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Bizarrely I did found a lot "small pockets" around me, quite a notable proportion, prefer a smaller phone.

Phones as big as 5.5 inch feels quite uncomfortable in "normal pocket" and not so great with one hand to use or even holding for calls. Lots non-geeks prefer smaller iPhone (5S) than 6, business man prefer Q10 rather than Passport, it's definitely more than "a few".

I used to think N810 has a really large screen, that's still applicable for now.

In contrast ladies love larger screen as they put phones in handbags.

BTW I really appreciate Sony still releasing the compact series that can be used by normal pockets, without compromising too much on HW. That is the perfect size for a lot.
This. Point by point.
Is not about small pockets, is about usability. There IS quite a considerable number of people in the world who has small or not-so-big hands, and operating a big phone is uncomfortable. The reason the more manufacturers are in the phone industry, the less diversity exists in sizes, form factors etc is beyond me. You know? Tablets exists. Even with 3G/4G. Go buy one. I have one. Play my games and watch my full lenght movies in the tablet, but I don't need to carry such a thing like a 6' phone just because of a 2-minute youtube video and quick Clash of Clans game in my coffee break. It's a phone. It's a phone and I need it to do their job efficiently, calling, texting, mailing and web browsing one-handed, and except maybe for the web browsing, the extra size is a big handicap for that tasks.
PD: As some of you know, I have a Blackberry Z10 and hope it lasts long enough 'cause it's size is the maximum bearable for me (and yes, lot of people around me)

Some of you will remember the study Apple did about one-hand thumb reachability in their screens:
Name:  Thumb-Stretch.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  21.5 KB

For a long time this was the right way to do, what common sense dictates, but I think everybody have to keep up with the times, even when you are right (or have the common sense on your side) because of following the mainsteam and their craziest battle of the harder-better-faster-stronger is always the better, popping up thinks like this and this to "fix" any annoyance. This is the world we are living in today.

Do we have to be alarmed? Well, If everything is going as expected, in a few years smartwatches will be at the perfect size to get rid of the wristband and use it as a proper size phone

Last edited by Hariainm; 2016-02-03 at 02:23.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Liquid metal. Think terminator ll.

Can only be destroyed in the fires of mount doom.
terminator 2?
outdated tech then...
aren't we on terminator 4 or 5 by now?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That term has been around since 2010. Here's a link about Apple renewing their usage of the alloy and term.

And screen size, only this forum and a few other small pockets of users still covet the smaller sizes whereas the majority has moved elsewhere and bigger.
With those acute Turing angles, small pockets will turn to no pockets

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
How exactly is size of the screen related to how "smart" is the phone? Or the customer?
I did not say anything about the "smartness" of the phone. As for the users, I agree that the screen size and their intelligence are orthogonal. But think of it this way. You are a phone manufacturer. To catch smart users, you would need to do a lot of research and think very hard. Or you can slap "liquid metal" and a large screen on it and catch the latest fad seekers. Which one would you do?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I did not say anything about the "smartness" of the phone. As for the users, I agree that the screen size and their intelligence are orthogonal. But think of it this way. You are a phone manufacturer. To catch smart users, you would need to do a lot of research and think very hard. Or you can slap "liquid metal" and a large screen on it and catch the latest fad seekers. Which one would you do?
I think you are simplifying it a bit too much. Large screens are currently mainstream, so it's of course a safe bet. However, if you want to build a Qualcomm based high end device with decent battery life and durability, it's pretty hard to do it to small form factor. ATM I'm not aware of any such Android based device except Sony Z5 Compact, which after all is not that compact either and suffers from numerous problems. Apple is way ahead on this one, their SoC seems to pack some serious punch and yet they can manage it with smaller batteries and devices.

This of course is based on assumption that "liquid metal" stuff really makes a difference in terms of durability. Personally I still miss horizonal HWKB... but yet, it would be very niche market and I'm not sure if such thing could be built anymore without either sacrificing quality or accumulating huge costs which would ruin small company quickly.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2016-02-03 at 08:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
^^there's a Chinese brand, not very known (Smartisan), whose better phones have the 4.95" display formfactor and SD based SoC

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to napaDokc For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by napaDokc View Post
SD based SoC
What's that? Are you somehow implying that the device SOC (== chipset basically) somehow dictates if it can use SD cards...?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
5.5''?
nah.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Great news. Unfortunitly the jolla news was not full refund so I won't spend a cent on Jolla until they fully refund all supporters.

And I suggest you do the same! They can TAKE OUR MONEY but they can't take OUR FREEEEDOM!

(Just watched braveheart)
I think your anti Jolla campaign has ran its cause... turn it down, you know your other options!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I think you are simplifying it a bit too much.
Of course I am!

However, if you want to build a Qualcomm based high end device with decent battery life and durability, it's pretty hard to do it to small form factor.
Here is where I disagree. I find it hard to believe that a larger screen = a longer battery life. Sure a larger screen = a larger device = more space for a bigger battery but OTOH a smaller screen = you do not need a bigger battery. There are numerous examples to demonstrate it. Just look at Nokia N9 vs. Jolla. In fact the last Android phone I used was Sony Xperia Mini which had a 2.6"(!) screen and the battery lasted a week between charges, in contrast with my Jolla that lasts about a day

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone